听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 阅读提高 » 逐字逐句阅读《Jane Eyre》
返回列表 发帖
Nor could I pass unnoticed the suggestion of the bleak shores of Lapland, Siberia, Spitzbergen, Nova Zembla, Iceland, Greenland, with "the vast sweep of the Arctic Zone, and those forlorn regions of dreary space -- that reservoir of frost and snow, where firm fields of ice, the accumulation of centuries of winters, glazed in Alpine heights above heights, surround the pole, and concentre the multiplied rigours of extreme cold." Of these death-white realms I formed an idea of my own: shadowy, like all the half-comprehended notions that float dim through children's brains, but strangely impressive. The words in these introductory pages connected themselves with the succeeding vignettes, and gave significance to the rock standing up alone in a sea of billow and spray; to the broken boat stranded on a desolate coast; to the cold and ghastly moon glancing through bars of cloud at a wreck just sinking.
bleak: 寒冷的, 荒凉的
forlorn: 绝望的; 被遗弃的, 孤独无助的; 凄凉的
glaze:  使表面光滑
rigour:  [常用复](气候等的)凛烈
vignette: 小插图
billow: 巨浪
stranded: 搁浅的,进退两难的 (还记得DZ在春节前发的关于滞留旅客的帖子吧?stranded passengers, 看到这个词现在感觉好亲切哈
ghastly: 死人般的, 苍白的

评分人数

• DZ

Good boy.

A small breakfast-room adjoined the drawing-room, I slipped in there. It contained a bookcase; I soon possessed myself of a volume, taking care that it should be one stored with pictures. I mounted into the window-seat: gathering up my feet, I sat crosslegged, like a Turk; and, having drawn the red moreen curtain nearly close, I was shrined in double retirement.
window-seat: (窗槛下的)窗座, 靠窗座位
gather up: 蜷缩
Turk: 土耳其人
moreen: (做窗帘、帷幕等用的)波纹毛呢, 波纹条毛布
retirement: 幽静地方, 偏僻地方

Folds of scarlet drapery shut in my view to the right hand; to the left were the clear panes of glass, protecting, but not separating me from the drear November day. At intervals, while turning over the leaves in my book, I studied the aspect of that winter afternoon. Afar, it offered a pale blank of mist and cloud; near, a scene of wet lawn and storm-beat shrub, with ceaseless rain sweeping away wildly before a long and lamentable blast.
drapery: (供装饰用的)织物, 帏帐, 布料
pane: 窗门上的玻璃格子
drear: =dreary 阴沉的
lamentable: 令人不快的

I returned to my book -- Bewick's HISTORY OF BRITISH BIRDS: the letterpress thereof I cared little for, generally speaking; and yet there were certain introductory pages that, child as I was, I could not pass quite as a blank. They were those which treat of the haunts of sea-fowl; of "the solitary rocks and promontories" by them only inhabited; of the coast of Norway, studded with isles from its southern extremity, the Lindeness, or Naze, to the North Cape --
letterpress: 正文,如一本书中区别于插图和其他装饰的文字
treat of: 论及,涉及
stud: 散布,点缀

Where the Northern Ocean, in vast whirls,
Boils round the naked, melancholy isles
Of farthest Thule; and the Atlantic surge
Pours in among the stormy Hebrides.
melancholy: 忧郁的
Thule: 极北之地
Hebrides: 赫布里底群岛

评分人数

• DZ

回复 2# 的帖子

呵呵,但是英文名著可不是一般人可以翻译的哈,而且有这么多现成的中文版本,阅读过程中参考参考并自己多多理解就可以了。

呵呵,你读完如果能翻译出来那才叫读了呀,建议你每天读一段翻译一段,这样,大家又监督了你,又学到了东西!两全其美呀!

返回列表