听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 少儿·初·高中·大学 » 美国习语天天记 American English Idioms
返回列表 发帖

美国习语天天记 American English Idioms

Smell a Rat

feel that something is wrong
       感到不对劲儿

A: How come the front door is open? Didn't you close it before we went shopping?
B: I'm sure I did. I can't understand it.
A: Frankly, I smell a rat.
B: Me, too. I'm convinced that something is definitely wrong here.
A: We'd better call the police.

评分人数

• DZ

Go to the Dogs

become run-down

A: Have you seen their house lately? It's really gone to the dogs.
B: It's true that it has become run-down and in serious need of repair, but I'm sure that it can be fixed up to look like new.
A: I guess with a little carpentry work and some paint it could look pretty decent.

评分人数

• DZ

继续

Fishy

Strange and suspicious

When the security guard saw a light in the store after closing hours, it seemed to him that there was something fishy going on. He called the central office and explained to his superior that he thought something strange and suspicious was occurring.

评分人数

• tingroom

这也是scj自己打出来的吧

回复 5# 的帖子

嘿嘿,是的,不过字数少不费啥劲。。。

Take the Bull by the Horns

Take decisive action in a difficult situation

Julie had always felt that she was missing out on a lot of fun because of her clumsiness on the dance floor. She had been putting off taking lessons, but she finally took the bull by the horns and went to a professional dance studio for help. She was tired of feeling left out and acted decisively to correct the situation.

Horse of a Different Color

Quite a different matter

Eric likes to play jokes on his friends, but he makes sure that nobody is hurt by any of his pranks. A prank that hurts someone is a horse of a different color! Being playful is one thing, but hurting someone by one’s prank is quite a different matter.

Let the Cat Out of the Bag

Inform beforehand

Bob was going to retire from teaching in June, and the foreign language department was planning on presenting him with some luggage at his retirement dinner. He wasn’t supposed to know about it, but someone let the cat out of the bag. At the dinner Bob acted surprised, even though someone had told him what he was getting before the official presentation.

For the Birds

uninteresting and meaningles
    毫无意义的;没趣的;乏味的

They went to a poetry reading, but they got bored and restless. As far as they were concerned, it was for the birds! They left during an intermission because they found the reading totally uninteresting and meaningless.

Straight from the Horse's Mouth

from a reliable source
根据可靠的来源

A: How did you find out that Jill was engaged?

B: I got the information from a very reliable source.

A: You mean Jill told you so herself?

B: That's right. I got it straight from the horse's mouth!

[ 本帖最后由 Sylvia_scj 于 2008-4-20 01:03 AM 编辑 ]

不错

Horse Around

play around
玩一玩

A: Did you hear about Dave's back injury?
B: No. How did he get hurt?
A: Well, after the coach left the gym he decided to stay and horse around on the parallel bars. He somehow lost his grip and fell on his back.
B: That's too bad, but he shouldn't have been aimlessly playing around on the equipment without proper supervision.

parallel bars 双杠

Cat Got Your Tongue?

Can't talk?
不会说话了吗?

A: Come on! Connie! Tell us what you think about our little ride down the rapids yesterday.
B: Well, uh...
A: Wasn't it exciting?
B: I, uh...
A: What's the matter? Cat got your tongue?
B: If you must know, I'm keeping quiet because I was scared out of my wits!

Shoot Off One's Mouth

express one's opinions loudly
   信口开河;夸夸其谈

Jim doesn't play tennis very much, but he's always shooting off his mouth about how good he is. Yet he's fooling nobody. Jim is somewhat of a braggart and everyone knows that he gives opinions without knowing all the facts and talks as if he knew everything about the game.

Tongue-In-Cheek

not serious
不是认真的,开玩笑的

A: Why were you teasing Sonia about her new hairdo? She really took offense at what you said.
B: I didn't mean to offend her. I was simply making a tongue-in-cheek remark when I said that it was too elaborate for a girl of her young, tender age.
A: Well, she thought you were serious. She had no idea that you were just saying that as a joke.
B: I'm really sorry. I suppose I owe her an apology.

take offence at
因...而生气, 见怪

Shake a Leg

Hurry!
赶快

A: Mary, you always take such a long time to put on your makeup. Come on, shake a leg!
B: I'll be finished in a minute. Be patient.
A: You've got to hurry or else we won't arrive on time to see the last show.

Not Have a Leg to Stand On

to have no good defense for one's opinions or actions
没有好的证据支持某人的言行

Tom maintains that the firm owes him some back wages for having worked overtime.
However, he won't have a leg to stand on unless he can prove that he put in all those extra hours. He doesn't stand a chance of getting his money without a strong foundation of facts to support his position.

back wages: 拖欠的工资

String Someone Along

lead someone on dishonestly
愚弄某人,欺骗某人

Liz had high hopes of marrying Dean. When he ran off with another woman, she realized that he was just stringing her along. She had felt very strongly about him and was really hurt to see that he was deceiving her and had no intentions of ever marrying her.

Wooooool!! Sylvia_scj    your are absolutely fantastic
some of the idioms I never heared about. its good to know and keep refreshing myself.

返回列表