听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » 听力原文收集区
返回列表 发帖

背诵为王 第四册

Lesson1 Power of Architecture
Architecture is to be regarded by us with the most serious thought. We may live without her, and worship without her, but we cannot remember without her. How cold is all history, how lifeless all imagery, compared to that which the living nation writes, and the uncorrupted marble bears! --how many pages of doubtful record might we not often spare, for a few stones left one upon another!
The ambition of the old Babel builders was well directed for this world: there are but two strong conquerors of the forgetfulness of men. Poetry and Architecture; and the latter in some sort includes the former, and is mightier in its reality: it is well to have, not only what men have thought and felt, but what their hands have handled, and their strength wrought, and their eyes behold, all the days of their life.
建筑的力量
我们应该以最严肃认真的态度来看待建筑。没有建筑,我们可以生存,可以崇拜上帝,但是我们就会失去记忆。与现存的民族记录下来的和依然如新的大理石展示给我们的东西相比,历史是那么凄冷,想象力是那么毫无生气。几块垒在一起的石头会给我们省下多少张满是疑点的记录。
古老的通天塔的建设者们的雄心对这个世界是有很大的指导意义的:只有两样东西能够克服人类的健忘:诗歌和建筑。在某种意义上,建筑包含诗歌,并且事实上比诗歌更具威力:我们不仅可以拥有人在生命的进程中想到和感觉到的东西,还可以拥有人的双手建造的、努力创造的以及看到的东西,这是多么美好呀。

Lesson2     Parent-children relationship by Bertrand Russell
The value of parental affection to children lies largely in the fact that it is more reliable than any other affection. One's friends like one for one's merits, one's lovers for one's charms; if the merits or the charms diminish, friends and lovers may vanish. But it is in times of misfortune that parents are most to be relied upon, in illness, and even in disgrace if the parents are of the right sort.
We all feel pleasure when we are admired for our merits, but most of us are sufficiently modest at heart to feel that such admiration is precarious. Our parents love us because we are their children and this is an unalterable fact, so that we feel safer with them than with anyone else. In times of success this may seem unimportant, but in times of failure it affords a consolation and a security not to be found elsewhere.

precarious adj. 不稳定的
unalterable adj. 不能变更的
consolation n. 安慰 , 起安慰作用的人或事物

父母和子女的关系
父母对子女的爱比其他任何感情都稳定可靠,在很大程度上这是其价值所在。朋友喜欢我们是因为我们的美德,爱人爱我们是因为我们的魅力。如果这些美德或者魅力减弱了,我们可能会失去朋友和爱人。但是在我们遭遇不幸时,父母是我们最可依赖的。如果遇到好的父母,即使我们声名扫地,也是如此。
有人敬仰我们的美德时,我们都会感到快乐,但是我们大多数人的内心都知道,这种敬仰是不可靠的。我们的父母爱我们是因为我们是他们的子女,这是不可改变的事实,所以和父母在一起时我们会感到比和其他任何人在一起时都安全。我们功成名就时,这可能显得并不重要。但是在我们失意的时候,父母给予我们的安慰和安全感是通过其他任何途径都无法得到的。

Imaginary n. (文学作品中的)意像、形像
behold vt. 看
wrought vt. (work 的过去式和过去分词 ) 精心制作

Lesson3 The Computer and Privacy
In the last 20 years, the productivity of the computer has increased over 1,000%. With this kind of technological advance, the possibility of storing more and more information at a central point is growing at a phenomenal rate. But so is the possibility of gaining access to the stored information. And that raises serious questions regarding personal privacy. For some time now, there has been a growing effort in many European countries to preserve the individual's privacy in the face of expanding requirements for information by business, government and other organizations.
In some countries, legislation has been enacted to protect the individual's privacy. In others, it is under study. In searching for appropriate legislative guidelines, private and governmental groups have explored many avenues and considered many aspects of the problem. Solutions must be found. And they will call for patient understanding and the best efforts of everyone concerned.

pledge vt. 保证
legislation n. 立法

电脑和隐私
在过去二十年里,电脑生产率的增长超过百分之一千。在这种技术进步的条件下,把越来越多的信息储存在一个中心点的技术已经获得了惊人的发展,同样,访问这些已经储存起来的信息的技术也突飞猛进。这就引出了有关个人隐私的严重问题。
面对商业、政府和其他组织不断膨胀的对信息的要求,有段时间以来,在许多欧洲国家有一股不断增长的要求保护个人隐私的努力。
在一些国家,已经立法来保护个人隐私。在其他国家里,这个问题还正在研究中。
为了寻找合适的立法指导方针,民间和政府团体系统地研究了许多途径,考虑了这个问题的许多方面。
解决方案必须找到,但这需要人们的宽容和理解,有关的每个人都要尽其最大的努力。

背诵为王 第四册

Lesson58 A-level Disillusionment
 Anne Barrie's "Do We Over-educate Our Children?" reminded me that the German author Gunter Grass once said that failing his school leaving exams was a blessing without which he would never have achieved the position he now holds. I wonder how many other great men and women owe their success to having failed in their academic careers.
I was a schoolgirl in the 1960s - the time when it was believed that the future wealth of the country depended on the education of the young: money was plentiful, new universities sprang up and great myths evolved to lure young people into the academic life.
Three years later, I obtained a first-class degree in mathematics. For some months there had been pressure to try for a further degree - the more post-graduate students there are, the more financial benefits exist for us. My fellow postgraduates and I knew nothing of the outside world, and happily believed that academic life for another three years would enhance us in the eyes of future employers: and so I went to London and began work for a doctorate.
Here, for the first time, I came across "mature students" - people who had left school at 16 and, years later, taken A-levels at technical colleges and come to university. Having chosen their subject with great care, and being more mature, they found a joy in their courses unknown to most of us.
I have been working now for several years: life has been very different from what I had been led to expect. However, it is too late to change: the state of understanding will not pay to reeducate people completely. As I think back, I regret that I did not fail my A-levels.

disillusionment 幻灭, 觉醒
lure 引诱
doctorate 博士头衔

A''等级幻灭
  安妮•巴瑞的《我们是不是给我们的孩子太多的教育了?》使我想到德国作家君特•格拉斯曾经说过的,他没有通过中学毕业考试是一件幸事,否则他就永远不可能取得现有的地位。不知道有多少其他伟人和名人们将所取得的成就归功于他们在学业上的失败。
  60年代,我还是一名中学女生,那是一个认为国家未来的富足寄托于年轻人的教育的时代:资金充裕,不断有新的大学出现,教育神话的巨大诱惑使年轻人都追求学业上的成就。
  3年后,我获得了数学的头等学位。好几个月里,我面临着研读更高学位的压力&&研究生越多,经济利益就会越多。我和我的研究生同学们丝毫不了解外面的世界,高枕无忧地认为学业上再深造三年能增加我们在未来老板眼里的价值。于是我到了伦敦,开始攻读博士学位。
  在那里我第一次遇到了“成熟的学生”,他们十六岁就离开了学校,几年后在技术学院参加了A&等级课程考试,然后上了大学。他们的专业是经过深思熟虑后选择的,他们更成熟,能在所修的课程中获得大多数我们这样的学生无法体会到的乐趣。
现在我已经工作好几年了,现实生活和我们在学校的环境下所期待的样子完全不同。不过,现在做出改变已经太晚了,醒悟并不能给我们带来完全的再教育。回想起来,我真后悔当年没有让我的A&等级课程考试不及格。

Lesson57 Value of Praise
 Sister Mroslas, in 1962, was a teacher at St. Mary's School in Morris, Minnesota.
One of her students was called Eklund and he was handful. He often got in trouble. But Sister Mroslas liked him. Sometimes she laughed even as she punished him.
And he was very polite. At the end of every day he would tell her, "Thank you for teaching me."
One day the students in Sister Mroslas's math class were feeling down. They were having a hard time understanding algebra.
Sister Mroslas tried to think of a way to make them feel better about themselves. She told students each to pull out a sheet of paper. On it, they wrote the names of all the other students in the class. Next to each name she told them to write something nice about that person.
Sister Mroslas collected the slips of paper. Later, she made a list for each student of the nice things their classmates had said about them. She handed the papers out during the next class.
Nine years later in 1971, Eklund died while serving as a soldier in Vietnam. Sister Mroslas went to his funeral. While she was there, Eklund's father showed her his son's wallet. In it was the piece of paper she had given him with his classmates' nice words on it.
Some of the other class members were also at the funeral. One after another, they revealed that they still had their pieces of paper, too. One person had put his in his wedding album.
Another kept hers in her diary. Yet another kept his in his wallet just as Eklund had done.
"That's when I finally sat down and cried," Sister Mroslas said.

handful 难控制的人

赞扬的价值
1962年,莫罗斯修女在明尼苏达州莫里斯区的圣玛丽学校教书。
有个叫埃克伦的学生很难管,经常惹麻烦。但莫罗斯修女喜欢他,甚至惩罚他时,有时她还会笑。
而他很有礼貌。每天放学时,他会对莫罗斯修女说:“谢谢您的教导。”
有天,在莫罗斯修女的数学课上,学生情绪低落。他们在理解代数时遇到了困难。
莫罗斯修女尽力想办法让学生们对自己感觉好一些。她让学生每人拿出一张纸,在纸上写出班里所有学生的名字,在每个名字旁边写上这个同学的优点。
莫罗斯修女把纸条收上来。之后,她为每个学生做了一个单子,上面是其他人写的该同学的优点。再上课时,她把纸发了下去。
9年后的1971年,埃克伦作为一名士兵死于越南战争。莫罗斯修女参加了他的葬礼。她一到那里,埃克伦的父亲就让她看儿子的钱包,里面是她发的写有同学对其表扬的话的纸。
班里的其他同学有些也参加了葬礼。一个接一个,他们也透露自己仍保留着那张纸。有个学生把它放进了自己的婚礼纪念册。另一个把自己的收在日记中。还有一个像埃克伦一样放在钱包里。
“那时我终于坐下来哭了,”莫罗斯修女说。

Lesson56 Smoking Facts and Figures
 Many people, including doctors, parents, teachers, and others, are concerned about the health risks of cigarette smoking. According to the latest statistics, active smoking kills 400,000 smokers in the United States each year, and secondhand smoke kills 53,000 nonsmokers in the United States each year. Equally disturbing is the fact that 80% of smokers have their first cigarette before they are 18 years old.
Before trying to solve the health problems related to cigarette smoking, an important question to ask is why people start smoking to begin with. Some factors involved in beginning to smoke are environmental. For example, family history influences whether or not a child becomes a smoker.
When parents smoke, they model smoking behaviour, and children often copy what they see their parents do. Many people, especially young people, have their first cigarette because of peer pressure. They want to be accepted in their social group, and if smoking is part of the group's activities, young people will begin to smoke in order to be accepted into the group.
Personal factors also affect whether a person will begin to smoke. People with tendencies toward risk-taking behaviour are more likely to start smoking than people who tend not to take risks. Outgoing people are also more likely to become smokers than shy people are. People also take up smoking to alleviate stress, or to help themselves lose weight. Finally, people, especially young people, begin to smoke because they believe smoking makes them appear mature, self-confident, and independent.
When we understand the reasons why people become smokers, we can help smokers become nonsmokers again. We can also help nonsmokers remain lifetime nonsmokers.

alleviate 减轻

有关抽烟的事实和数字
  包括医生、父母、老师在内的许多人都很关注抽烟给健康带来的危害。最新的统计数据表明,在美国,每年主动吸烟导致四十万吸烟者的死亡,被动吸烟导致五万三千名不抽烟人的死亡。同样令人不安的一个事实是,百分之八十的吸烟者是在十八岁之前开始抽第一支烟的。
  要想解决与吸烟有关的健康问题,首先要问的一个重要问题是为什么人们会开始吸烟。导致开始吸烟的部分原因是环境因素。例如,家庭吸烟史会影响到孩子是否会成为一名吸烟者。父母吸烟的话,他们成了抽烟行为的模仿对象,孩子们经常会模仿他们父母的行为。许多人,特别是年轻人,他们开始抽烟是因为来自同伴的压力。青年人希望能被自己的社会群体认可。如果抽烟是这个群体的活动的一部分,他们就会开始抽烟以加入这个群体。
  个人因素也会影响一个人是否会开始抽烟。有冒险倾向的人比不愿冒险的人开始抽烟的可能性要大。外向型性格的人比害羞的人更容易成为一名吸烟者。有些人开始抽烟是为了减轻压力,或者帮助减肥。最后,有些人,特别是青年人开始抽烟是因为他们相信抽烟使他们显得成熟、自信和独立。
  我们了解了为什么人们会成为吸烟者后,就可以帮助吸烟者戒烟,也可以帮助不抽烟的人一辈子都不抽烟。

背诵为王 第四册

Lesson60 Zen and the Art of Burglary
 If people ask me what Zen is like, I will say that it is like learning the art of burglary. The son of a burglar saw his father growing older and thought, "If he is unable to carry on his profession, who will be the breadwinner of the family, except myself? I must learn the trade." He intimated the idea to his father, who approved of it.
One night the father took the son to a big house, broke through the fence, entered the house, and, opening one of the large chests, told the son to go in and pick out the clothing, as soon as the son get into it, the father dropped the lid and securely applied the lock. The father now came out to the courtyard and loudly knocked at the door, waking up the whole family; then he quietly slipped away by the hole in the fence.
The residents got excited and lighted candles, but they found that the burglar had already gone.
The son, who remained all the time securely confined in the chest, thought of his cruel father. He was greatly mortified, then a fine idea flashed upon him. He made a noise like the gnawing of a rat. The family told the maid to take a candle and examine the chest. When the lid was unlocked, out came the prisoner, who blew out the light, pushed away the maid, and fled. The people ran after him. Noticing a well by the road, he picked up a large stone and threw it into the water. The pursuers all gathered around the well trying to find the burglars drowning himself in the dark hole.
In the meantime he went safely back to his father's house. He blamed his father deeply for this narrow escape. Said the father, "be not offended my son. Just tell me how you got out of it." When the son told him all about his adventures, the father remarked, "There you are, you have learned the art."

mortify 使丢脸,使经受羞辱
gnaw (用牙齿)咬,啃

禅宗与盗窃艺术
  如果有人问我禅宗是什么,我会告诉他禅宗就像是盗窃艺术。窃贼的儿子看着他的父亲一天天变老,心想,“要是父亲不能继续他的行当,除了我之外还有谁能承担起养家糊口的重任呢?我要学会这门手艺。”他把自己的这个想法给父亲说了,父亲同意了。
  一天晚上,父亲把儿子带到了一座大房子,钻过篱笆进入了房子。父亲打开一个大柜子,吩咐儿子进去偷些衣服出来。儿子刚进去,父亲就盖上了柜子的盖子,并牢牢地锁上了柜子。他来到院子里,大声地敲门,把这家人全给吵醒了。接着,父亲悄悄地从篱笆的洞里钻了出去。惊慌失措的这家人点亮了蜡烛,却发现窃贼已经跑掉了。
  儿子一直被牢牢地锁在柜子里,想着他那无情的父亲。他感到受了屈辱。突然一个点子闪现在他的脑海中。他发出了老鼠咬柜子的声音,这家人就吩咐女仆拿着蜡烛去查看柜子。女仆一打开柜子的盖子,里面的躲着的人就跳了出来,吹灭蜡烛,推开女仆,逃走了。人们在后面追赶。他看到路边有一口井,搬起一块大石头,丢到了井里。追赶者都聚集在井边,想看看窃贼是不是掉进黑洞洞的井里淹死了。
  这时候,他安全地回到了他父亲的房子。他斥责他父亲说他差点没能活着回来。父亲说,“儿呀,别生气,告诉我你怎么逃出来的。”
听完儿子讲述了历险经历,父亲说,“现在好了,你已经学会了盗窃这门艺术。”

Lesson59 Down with School!
 School is an institution built on the axiom that learning is the result of teaching. And institutional wisdom continues to accept this axiom, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Most learning happens casually, and even most intentional learning is not the result of programmed instruction. Normal children learn their first language casually, although faster if their parents pay attention to them. Most people who learn a second language well do so as a result of odd circumstances and not of sequential teaching. They go to live with their grandparents, they travel, or they fall in love with a foreigner. Fluency in reading is also more often than not a result of such extra-curricular activities. Most people read widely, and with pleasure out of school.
Everyone learns how to live outside school. We learn to speak, to think, to love, to feel, to play, to curse, to politick and to work without interference from a teacher. Even children who are under a teacher's care day and night are no exception to the rule. Orphans, idiots and schoolteachers' sons learn most of what they learn outside the "educational" process planned for them. Teachers have made a poor showing in their attempt at increasing learning among the poor. Poor parents who want their children to go to school are less concerned about what they will learn than about the certificate and money they will earn. And middle-class parents entrust their children to a teacher's care to keep them from learning what the poor learn on the streets. Increasingly, educational research demonstrates that children learn most of what teachers pretend to teach them from peer groups, from comics, from chance observations, and above all from mere participation in the ritual of school.

axiom 原理, 原则
orphan 孤儿
peer group 同年龄组,同年龄群体

打倒学校!
  学校是建立在学习是教学的结果这一理念基础上的机构。学院理论继续接受这一理念,尽管有压倒性的证据证明事实刚好相反。
  大多数知识是在不经意间学来的。即便是有意的学习,大多也不是有组织教导的结果。正常的孩子随意地就学会了他们的母语,虽然如果父母用心的话,他们会学得更快些。大多数第二语言学得好的人是在特殊的环境下学成的,而不是系统教学所致。他们去和祖父母一起生活,去旅行,或者爱上一个外国人。阅读流畅也经常是课外阅读活动的结果,大多数人们在课外广泛地阅读,并且得到很多乐趣。
  每个人都是在校外学会如何生活的。我们在没有老师干预的情况下,学会说话、思考、去爱、感受、玩、骂人、谈论政治和工作。即使是日夜处于老师照料下的孩子也无一例外地适用该规则。孤儿、白痴和老师的孩子学到的东西大多是从为他们设置的“教育”过程之外得来的。教师尝试提高穷人知识水平的努力乏善可陈。没钱的父母把他们的孩子送到学校,他们更关心孩子将来取得的证书和报酬,而不是孩子能学到什么。中产阶级的父母把孩子托付给老师,是为了不让他们学到穷人在街上学到的东西。教育研究日益显示,孩子们是从同龄人、漫画、偶尔的观察,及更重要的是学校的活动,学到了教师假装要教给他们的大多数东西。

大家一起努力哦!!!有好的资料就一起分享@@

it's good.

简爱CHAPTER 1~5

文字可能会有连词~
附件: 您需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册

回复 1# 的帖子

看上去有点乱,能不能整理一下。找不到需要的东西~~~~~~~~~~~~whating for you

晕菜,不能整理个文本什么的?

应该整理整齐来,这样太乱

在哪?

回复 262# 的帖子

非常感谢啊,但是这个就只是第一课的啊,有没有其他的呢?

回复 256# 的帖子

不好意思,能否告知下这是第几册的文本啊,listen to this way 有四册呢,谢谢哈。

ABC潘玮柏教学地道日常口语 Unit1

高一课文 1s_Un01 Good Friends(listening)

Situation One
  Hi,Peter.
  Hi,Jim.Peter.I'm not happy about this . This is your third time late for football pactice. You have to do something about this.
  Eh. I'm sorry .JIm. What's the big deal.So i have few minutes late.What difference does it make?
  What difference does it make?We have to wait for you. Look. Everybody in here is ready to play. We don't plan waiting for you. Please be on time in the future.
  OK. I will try.
   Situation Two
  Hi, Ann.Have you seen my calculator?
  Hi,Mary.I fotrget to tell you . Ineed the calculater yesterday.And I borrowed yours.I hope you don't mind.
  What? you boroowed my calculater without asking? How could do that?
  You always do that . Borrowing things without asking.I need return atime either.
   I'm sorry. I don't know you so sad about it.
    Situatian Three
   Hi,Jhon.
   Hi,Aldan.How's it going?
   Pretty good.
   Look. I have something . I need to tell you.
   OK. What's up?
   Oh. you know I borrowed you CD player yesterday.
   Yes?
   Well-eh. I think it's boken.
   What? Boken? What happaned?
   I didn't do anything. I was just listening music when suddenly stopped.I can't make it play again.
   That's strange.I've never have any problem with it before.Are you sure you didin't do anything to it?
   Yeah.I just listen to it. Don't worry. My last uncle Wilson is come back.
   可能有错误。 不要介意哟
    第一回发表码嘛!!!!!!!

呵呵 与我无关~~

hoho

What can I do to earn some gold coins? Who can tell me? thanks !

Part 5, Memory test: Radio Announcement.
Tapescript:
   Announcer: And now here are some of the things you can listen to this evening here on Radio2. Our Wednesday play is at nine and is called Old People Talking; it's about a small group of old age pensioners sitting in a social club remembering the past. Before that at 7:30 we have "My Favoiurite Discs" in which Jenny Lindley talks about the records that influenced her musical career.At 10:30 there is an account by James Farmer of his travels in the Middle East by bicycle and at 11:00 there's a service from St. Paul's, On Radio 3 the big event of the evening is the broadcast of La Traviata from the Albert Hall; it's at 9:00 and it has Felicity Newcombe in the major role. The interval talk at 9:15 is Peter Morris remembering his adventures while fishing is Scotland. Radio 1 has as usual continuous pop music; from 6 to 8 it's the Tommy Brian Show with interviews with live pop stars; from 10 till midnight it's Joe Newland with his frieds. So if you're in for the evening or listening on the car radio there should be something for you; stay runed.

补充LISTEN THIS WAY的课文文本第四课

4Can Time Move Backward?
Part1 Getting ready
B You are going to hear eight short dialogues concerning time. As you listen, choose from the following the clock which gives the time when each dialogue takes place and write the number of the dialogue in the brackets above it.
Tapescripts
1.Man:What time do you have?
Woman:I have a quarter to five.
Man:Excuse me? What's the time?
Woman:A quarter to five.

2.Woman:What time is it?
Man:It's 10:15
Woman:Are you sure?My watch has 10:30.
Man:Your watch must be fast.I have just set mine by the radio.

3.Woman:Could you give me the time?
Man:It's 7:05 exactly.

4.Man:What time have you got?
Woman:About 4:30

5.Man:Can the clock be right?2:55?
Woman:That clock is always off. It's 3 o;clock sharp.

6.Woman:Check the time. There's a clock in the kitchen.
Man:It's a little before eleven.

7Woman:Are we going to be late?
Man:We will be unless we hurry.
Woman:When does the movie start?
Man:At 6:40, We've got fifteen minutes to get there.

8:Mano you have the time?
Woman:It's about three-twenty-five.
Manh,no, I'm late. I have an appointment in twenty minutes.
Womanon't worry. I'll drive you wherever you have to go.

C You are going to hear five statements about time difference. Comelete the following sentences.
Tapescripts:
1. When it is (7 a.m. Monday )in Tokyo, it is (5 p.m. Sunday )in New York and( 6 a.m. Monday )in Hong Kong.
2.When it is (4 p.m. Friday) in Melbourne, it is (11p.m. Thursday) in Denver and (9 a.m. Friday) in Baghdad.
3. When it is (3 p.m. Tuesday) in Singapore, it is (3 a.m. Tuesday) in Miami and(10 p.m Monday) in Honolulu.
4. When it is (8.p.m. Friday in Mexico City, it is (12 noon Saturday) in Guam and (3 a.m. Saturday) in Rome.
5.When it is (1 a.m. Wednesday) in London, ti is (9 a.m. Wednesday) in Shanghai and
(9 p.m. Tuesday) in Santiago.

Part 2 Local time
A:   you are going to hear an announcement made on a plane during landing.Write down every word as a dictation.It will be read three times. In the first reading, you will hear the whole announcement from beginning to end. In the second reading, you will hear a pause after each sentence or just part of a sentence. During the pause, you must write down what you have just heard as quickly as possible. You can check what you have written with the third reading.
Tapescript:
Ladies and gentlemen. May we kindly ask you to remain seated until the aircraft has reached its final position. The temperature here in London is 15 C or 59 F. The exact local time is 11:35. Captain Smith and his crew would like to say goodbye to you.We hope you enjoyed your flight. Thank you.

B You are going to hear a recorded phone call. While listening for the first time, add more key words if you can in the left-hand column. After the second listening complete the messages in the right-hand column with the help of the notes.
Tapescript:
Telephonist: Hello, Santos Trading.
Mr. Wong:Oh, hello. This is Mr. Wong here, calling from Singapore.
Telephonist:Yes, Mr. Wong, who do you want to speak to?
Mr. Wong:Um... I'd like to speak to Mrs. Cox, please.
Telephonist:Fine, putting you through.
Woman: Hello, can I help you?
Mr. Wong:Oh, hello. This is Mr. Wong calling from Singapore. Er... may I speak to Mrs. Cox,please?
Woman:Oh, I'm afraid Mrs. Cox is away. She has the flu and she may not be hack in the office till Monday. I expect her assistant, Mr. Box, can hepl. I'll just see if he's in his office. Hold on a moment, please.... Hello, Mr.Wong?
Mr. Wong:Yes.
Woman:I'm very sorry, (but) he's out just now, Can I take a message for him?
Mr. Wong:Oh, yes, please. Will you tell him I won't be arriving in Melbourne until quite late this Saturday, at 1 a.m. local time.(Um.) And will Mrs. Cox still be able to meet me?
Woman:Right.
Mr. Wong:And also inform the Royal Hotel that I'll be arriving very (very) late.
Woman:Sure.
Mr. Wong:Oh, wonderful, thanks. Could you please....er....telex or phone me to confirm that this is possible?
Woman:Right, I...I'll take the message. I'll give it to Mr. Box and I'm sure he'll be in touch with you. Thank you very much, Mr. Wong.
Mr. Wong:Thank you.

Part 3 Ladies and gentlemen
A You are going to hear some announcements made by Professor Williams at the final plenary session of an international conference on urban planning. The following vocabulary is used in the conversation. Guess  the meaning when you hear these words in the announcements. Match them with their definitions. Write the correct number before each definition. While you listen, don't forget to add more key words in the notes column. They will be very helpful for the next section.
1.session 2.urban 3domestic 4.lodge 5.chairpeople 6. coach 7.reprint 8.reminder 9.convention 10.productive
Tapescript:
Ladies and gentlemen. If  I can have your attention for a moment please? I have the final notices for this final session of the conference. Now, first of all, I'd like to mention that the urban pollution session has been very popular so we are moving the final discussion to Room 201,That's Room 201. Which means (that) the domestic shelter session will be changed from Room 201 to room 304. That's the domestic shelter session in Room 304. I hope everybody's got that.
     Now I have a notice here that you must return your keys to the porter's lodge before you leave. So anybody who has forgotten to bring them with you, please get them and return them before you leave. Thank you.
     Turning now to your discussion records, I would like to see you return them to the session chairpeople by 5 o'clock this afternoon. That's 17 hundred hours. Thank you.
     Regarding coaches for the airport,....ah.... they will be gathering outside the Kennedy Building at 3:30. That's ....ah....15:30 hours.And there'll be another one a little late than that at 15 hour.... that's 17:15. That's 5:15. I'd like to ask you all to be there, ready for the buses ,at least 5 minutes before the departure times. So we can all leave promptly and everybody will get home on time. Thank you.
    I have particular messages for ....ah....Dr. Schap.....schapsinger and Dr. Garbeldi and Dr. Surinander. I'd like to ask you three.... Are you here Dr.Schapsinger? Dr. Garbeldi? Yes. And Dr. Surinander? I'd like to ask you to collect your reprints from the conference desk before you leave. Thank you.
      Finally I have a reminder from Dr. Goldman of the Chicago Institute that the Sixth Annual Convetion of PES,86, October. And I'd like anybody that's interested in that conference to leave your name at the conference desk. Thank you very much.
    Ladies and gentlemen. I know it has been a (very) happy event for me, this conference. And I hope that you too have found it a happy and productive time .Thank you all for coming.

Part 4 More about the topic: Day-light-saving Time
   The following short passage is about day-light-saving time. Supply the missing words while listening.
Tapescript:
        Standard time is a worldwide (system) of time areas based on longitude.Longitude is the distance on the earth (measuring) east or west of the first longitude(line) at Greenwich, England. Each time area is (15 degrees) longitude wide. Under standard time, the time kept in each time area is that of its( central) longitude line. These lines are 15degrees,(30 degrees) and so on east or west of the (first) line in England. The (difference) in time between each nearby area is  exactly (one) hour. All clocks keep the (same) time within each area.
   In the summer, most people in the United States move their clocks( ahead )one hour to use day-light-saving time. The use of day-light-saving time provides an(added) hour of day light in the early evening. Its chief (purpose) is to save energy by reducing the evening use of (electricity)for reading. Many countries first used day-light-saving time during (war) time .For example, Britain went on day-light time during(WW1), so did the United States. The United States also observed it during (WW2). After the war, many American states (established) some kind of day-light-saving time.But this became (confusing). So in 1966, (Congress) established day-light-saving time for the nation, It began the (last) Sunday of April and ended the last (Sunday) of October.
    In the 1970s, that time period was (extended) as a result of the reduction in Arab oil exports that caused a (fuel) shortage in the United States. In (1986), new legislation changed the (start) of day-light-saving time from the last Sunday in April to the (whole) month of April saves the nation about (300000) barrels of oil each year. So today day-light-saving time begins the first Sunday in Apirl and ends the last Sunday in October. That is why most Americans will set their clocks (backward) one hour this Saturday night.

返回列表