听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » 听力原文收集区
返回列表 发帖

高一课文 1s_Un01 Good Friends(listening)

Situation One
  Hi,Peter.
  Hi,Jim.Peter.I'm not happy about this . This is your third time late for football pactice. You have to do something about this.
  Eh. I'm sorry .JIm. What's the big deal.So i have few minutes late.What difference does it make?
  What difference does it make?We have to wait for you. Look. Everybody in here is ready to play. We don't plan waiting for you. Please be on time in the future.
  OK. I will try.
   Situation Two
  Hi, Ann.Have you seen my calculator?
  Hi,Mary.I fotrget to tell you . Ineed the calculater yesterday.And I borrowed yours.I hope you don't mind.
  What? you boroowed my calculater without asking? How could do that?
  You always do that . Borrowing things without asking.I need return atime either.
   I'm sorry. I don't know you so sad about it.
    Situatian Three
   Hi,Jhon.
   Hi,Aldan.How's it going?
   Pretty good.
   Look. I have something . I need to tell you.
   OK. What's up?
   Oh. you know I borrowed you CD player yesterday.
   Yes?
   Well-eh. I think it's boken.
   What? Boken? What happaned?
   I didn't do anything. I was just listening music when suddenly stopped.I can't make it play again.
   That's strange.I've never have any problem with it before.Are you sure you didin't do anything to it?
   Yeah.I just listen to it. Don't worry. My last uncle Wilson is come back.
   可能有错误。 不要介意哟
    第一回发表码嘛!!!!!!!
附件: 您需要登录才可以下载或查看附件。没有帐号?注册

ABC潘玮柏教学地道日常口语 Unit1

回复 256# 的帖子

不好意思,能否告知下这是第几册的文本啊,listen to this way 有四册呢,谢谢哈。

回复 262# 的帖子

非常感谢啊,但是这个就只是第一课的啊,有没有其他的呢?

在哪?

应该整理整齐来,这样太乱

晕菜,不能整理个文本什么的?

回复 1# 的帖子

看上去有点乱,能不能整理一下。找不到需要的东西~~~~~~~~~~~~whating for you

简爱CHAPTER 1~5

文字可能会有连词~

it's good.

大家一起努力哦!!!有好的资料就一起分享@@

背诵为王 第四册

Lesson60 Zen and the Art of Burglary
 If people ask me what Zen is like, I will say that it is like learning the art of burglary. The son of a burglar saw his father growing older and thought, "If he is unable to carry on his profession, who will be the breadwinner of the family, except myself? I must learn the trade." He intimated the idea to his father, who approved of it.
One night the father took the son to a big house, broke through the fence, entered the house, and, opening one of the large chests, told the son to go in and pick out the clothing, as soon as the son get into it, the father dropped the lid and securely applied the lock. The father now came out to the courtyard and loudly knocked at the door, waking up the whole family; then he quietly slipped away by the hole in the fence.
The residents got excited and lighted candles, but they found that the burglar had already gone.
The son, who remained all the time securely confined in the chest, thought of his cruel father. He was greatly mortified, then a fine idea flashed upon him. He made a noise like the gnawing of a rat. The family told the maid to take a candle and examine the chest. When the lid was unlocked, out came the prisoner, who blew out the light, pushed away the maid, and fled. The people ran after him. Noticing a well by the road, he picked up a large stone and threw it into the water. The pursuers all gathered around the well trying to find the burglars drowning himself in the dark hole.
In the meantime he went safely back to his father's house. He blamed his father deeply for this narrow escape. Said the father, "be not offended my son. Just tell me how you got out of it." When the son told him all about his adventures, the father remarked, "There you are, you have learned the art."

mortify 使丢脸,使经受羞辱
gnaw (用牙齿)咬,啃

禅宗与盗窃艺术
  如果有人问我禅宗是什么,我会告诉他禅宗就像是盗窃艺术。窃贼的儿子看着他的父亲一天天变老,心想,“要是父亲不能继续他的行当,除了我之外还有谁能承担起养家糊口的重任呢?我要学会这门手艺。”他把自己的这个想法给父亲说了,父亲同意了。
  一天晚上,父亲把儿子带到了一座大房子,钻过篱笆进入了房子。父亲打开一个大柜子,吩咐儿子进去偷些衣服出来。儿子刚进去,父亲就盖上了柜子的盖子,并牢牢地锁上了柜子。他来到院子里,大声地敲门,把这家人全给吵醒了。接着,父亲悄悄地从篱笆的洞里钻了出去。惊慌失措的这家人点亮了蜡烛,却发现窃贼已经跑掉了。
  儿子一直被牢牢地锁在柜子里,想着他那无情的父亲。他感到受了屈辱。突然一个点子闪现在他的脑海中。他发出了老鼠咬柜子的声音,这家人就吩咐女仆拿着蜡烛去查看柜子。女仆一打开柜子的盖子,里面的躲着的人就跳了出来,吹灭蜡烛,推开女仆,逃走了。人们在后面追赶。他看到路边有一口井,搬起一块大石头,丢到了井里。追赶者都聚集在井边,想看看窃贼是不是掉进黑洞洞的井里淹死了。
  这时候,他安全地回到了他父亲的房子。他斥责他父亲说他差点没能活着回来。父亲说,“儿呀,别生气,告诉我你怎么逃出来的。”
听完儿子讲述了历险经历,父亲说,“现在好了,你已经学会了盗窃这门艺术。”

Lesson59 Down with School!
 School is an institution built on the axiom that learning is the result of teaching. And institutional wisdom continues to accept this axiom, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Most learning happens casually, and even most intentional learning is not the result of programmed instruction. Normal children learn their first language casually, although faster if their parents pay attention to them. Most people who learn a second language well do so as a result of odd circumstances and not of sequential teaching. They go to live with their grandparents, they travel, or they fall in love with a foreigner. Fluency in reading is also more often than not a result of such extra-curricular activities. Most people read widely, and with pleasure out of school.
Everyone learns how to live outside school. We learn to speak, to think, to love, to feel, to play, to curse, to politick and to work without interference from a teacher. Even children who are under a teacher's care day and night are no exception to the rule. Orphans, idiots and schoolteachers' sons learn most of what they learn outside the "educational" process planned for them. Teachers have made a poor showing in their attempt at increasing learning among the poor. Poor parents who want their children to go to school are less concerned about what they will learn than about the certificate and money they will earn. And middle-class parents entrust their children to a teacher's care to keep them from learning what the poor learn on the streets. Increasingly, educational research demonstrates that children learn most of what teachers pretend to teach them from peer groups, from comics, from chance observations, and above all from mere participation in the ritual of school.

axiom 原理, 原则
orphan 孤儿
peer group 同年龄组,同年龄群体

打倒学校!
  学校是建立在学习是教学的结果这一理念基础上的机构。学院理论继续接受这一理念,尽管有压倒性的证据证明事实刚好相反。
  大多数知识是在不经意间学来的。即便是有意的学习,大多也不是有组织教导的结果。正常的孩子随意地就学会了他们的母语,虽然如果父母用心的话,他们会学得更快些。大多数第二语言学得好的人是在特殊的环境下学成的,而不是系统教学所致。他们去和祖父母一起生活,去旅行,或者爱上一个外国人。阅读流畅也经常是课外阅读活动的结果,大多数人们在课外广泛地阅读,并且得到很多乐趣。
  每个人都是在校外学会如何生活的。我们在没有老师干预的情况下,学会说话、思考、去爱、感受、玩、骂人、谈论政治和工作。即使是日夜处于老师照料下的孩子也无一例外地适用该规则。孤儿、白痴和老师的孩子学到的东西大多是从为他们设置的“教育”过程之外得来的。教师尝试提高穷人知识水平的努力乏善可陈。没钱的父母把他们的孩子送到学校,他们更关心孩子将来取得的证书和报酬,而不是孩子能学到什么。中产阶级的父母把孩子托付给老师,是为了不让他们学到穷人在街上学到的东西。教育研究日益显示,孩子们是从同龄人、漫画、偶尔的观察,及更重要的是学校的活动,学到了教师假装要教给他们的大多数东西。

背诵为王 第四册

Lesson58 A-level Disillusionment
 Anne Barrie's "Do We Over-educate Our Children?" reminded me that the German author Gunter Grass once said that failing his school leaving exams was a blessing without which he would never have achieved the position he now holds. I wonder how many other great men and women owe their success to having failed in their academic careers.
I was a schoolgirl in the 1960s - the time when it was believed that the future wealth of the country depended on the education of the young: money was plentiful, new universities sprang up and great myths evolved to lure young people into the academic life.
Three years later, I obtained a first-class degree in mathematics. For some months there had been pressure to try for a further degree - the more post-graduate students there are, the more financial benefits exist for us. My fellow postgraduates and I knew nothing of the outside world, and happily believed that academic life for another three years would enhance us in the eyes of future employers: and so I went to London and began work for a doctorate.
Here, for the first time, I came across "mature students" - people who had left school at 16 and, years later, taken A-levels at technical colleges and come to university. Having chosen their subject with great care, and being more mature, they found a joy in their courses unknown to most of us.
I have been working now for several years: life has been very different from what I had been led to expect. However, it is too late to change: the state of understanding will not pay to reeducate people completely. As I think back, I regret that I did not fail my A-levels.

disillusionment 幻灭, 觉醒
lure 引诱
doctorate 博士头衔

A''等级幻灭
  安妮•巴瑞的《我们是不是给我们的孩子太多的教育了?》使我想到德国作家君特•格拉斯曾经说过的,他没有通过中学毕业考试是一件幸事,否则他就永远不可能取得现有的地位。不知道有多少其他伟人和名人们将所取得的成就归功于他们在学业上的失败。
  60年代,我还是一名中学女生,那是一个认为国家未来的富足寄托于年轻人的教育的时代:资金充裕,不断有新的大学出现,教育神话的巨大诱惑使年轻人都追求学业上的成就。
  3年后,我获得了数学的头等学位。好几个月里,我面临着研读更高学位的压力&&研究生越多,经济利益就会越多。我和我的研究生同学们丝毫不了解外面的世界,高枕无忧地认为学业上再深造三年能增加我们在未来老板眼里的价值。于是我到了伦敦,开始攻读博士学位。
  在那里我第一次遇到了“成熟的学生”,他们十六岁就离开了学校,几年后在技术学院参加了A&等级课程考试,然后上了大学。他们的专业是经过深思熟虑后选择的,他们更成熟,能在所修的课程中获得大多数我们这样的学生无法体会到的乐趣。
现在我已经工作好几年了,现实生活和我们在学校的环境下所期待的样子完全不同。不过,现在做出改变已经太晚了,醒悟并不能给我们带来完全的再教育。回想起来,我真后悔当年没有让我的A&等级课程考试不及格。

Lesson57 Value of Praise
 Sister Mroslas, in 1962, was a teacher at St. Mary's School in Morris, Minnesota.
One of her students was called Eklund and he was handful. He often got in trouble. But Sister Mroslas liked him. Sometimes she laughed even as she punished him.
And he was very polite. At the end of every day he would tell her, "Thank you for teaching me."
One day the students in Sister Mroslas's math class were feeling down. They were having a hard time understanding algebra.
Sister Mroslas tried to think of a way to make them feel better about themselves. She told students each to pull out a sheet of paper. On it, they wrote the names of all the other students in the class. Next to each name she told them to write something nice about that person.
Sister Mroslas collected the slips of paper. Later, she made a list for each student of the nice things their classmates had said about them. She handed the papers out during the next class.
Nine years later in 1971, Eklund died while serving as a soldier in Vietnam. Sister Mroslas went to his funeral. While she was there, Eklund's father showed her his son's wallet. In it was the piece of paper she had given him with his classmates' nice words on it.
Some of the other class members were also at the funeral. One after another, they revealed that they still had their pieces of paper, too. One person had put his in his wedding album.
Another kept hers in her diary. Yet another kept his in his wallet just as Eklund had done.
"That's when I finally sat down and cried," Sister Mroslas said.

handful 难控制的人

赞扬的价值
1962年,莫罗斯修女在明尼苏达州莫里斯区的圣玛丽学校教书。
有个叫埃克伦的学生很难管,经常惹麻烦。但莫罗斯修女喜欢他,甚至惩罚他时,有时她还会笑。
而他很有礼貌。每天放学时,他会对莫罗斯修女说:“谢谢您的教导。”
有天,在莫罗斯修女的数学课上,学生情绪低落。他们在理解代数时遇到了困难。
莫罗斯修女尽力想办法让学生们对自己感觉好一些。她让学生每人拿出一张纸,在纸上写出班里所有学生的名字,在每个名字旁边写上这个同学的优点。
莫罗斯修女把纸条收上来。之后,她为每个学生做了一个单子,上面是其他人写的该同学的优点。再上课时,她把纸发了下去。
9年后的1971年,埃克伦作为一名士兵死于越南战争。莫罗斯修女参加了他的葬礼。她一到那里,埃克伦的父亲就让她看儿子的钱包,里面是她发的写有同学对其表扬的话的纸。
班里的其他同学有些也参加了葬礼。一个接一个,他们也透露自己仍保留着那张纸。有个学生把它放进了自己的婚礼纪念册。另一个把自己的收在日记中。还有一个像埃克伦一样放在钱包里。
“那时我终于坐下来哭了,”莫罗斯修女说。

Lesson56 Smoking Facts and Figures
 Many people, including doctors, parents, teachers, and others, are concerned about the health risks of cigarette smoking. According to the latest statistics, active smoking kills 400,000 smokers in the United States each year, and secondhand smoke kills 53,000 nonsmokers in the United States each year. Equally disturbing is the fact that 80% of smokers have their first cigarette before they are 18 years old.
Before trying to solve the health problems related to cigarette smoking, an important question to ask is why people start smoking to begin with. Some factors involved in beginning to smoke are environmental. For example, family history influences whether or not a child becomes a smoker.
When parents smoke, they model smoking behaviour, and children often copy what they see their parents do. Many people, especially young people, have their first cigarette because of peer pressure. They want to be accepted in their social group, and if smoking is part of the group's activities, young people will begin to smoke in order to be accepted into the group.
Personal factors also affect whether a person will begin to smoke. People with tendencies toward risk-taking behaviour are more likely to start smoking than people who tend not to take risks. Outgoing people are also more likely to become smokers than shy people are. People also take up smoking to alleviate stress, or to help themselves lose weight. Finally, people, especially young people, begin to smoke because they believe smoking makes them appear mature, self-confident, and independent.
When we understand the reasons why people become smokers, we can help smokers become nonsmokers again. We can also help nonsmokers remain lifetime nonsmokers.

alleviate 减轻

有关抽烟的事实和数字
  包括医生、父母、老师在内的许多人都很关注抽烟给健康带来的危害。最新的统计数据表明,在美国,每年主动吸烟导致四十万吸烟者的死亡,被动吸烟导致五万三千名不抽烟人的死亡。同样令人不安的一个事实是,百分之八十的吸烟者是在十八岁之前开始抽第一支烟的。
  要想解决与吸烟有关的健康问题,首先要问的一个重要问题是为什么人们会开始吸烟。导致开始吸烟的部分原因是环境因素。例如,家庭吸烟史会影响到孩子是否会成为一名吸烟者。父母吸烟的话,他们成了抽烟行为的模仿对象,孩子们经常会模仿他们父母的行为。许多人,特别是年轻人,他们开始抽烟是因为来自同伴的压力。青年人希望能被自己的社会群体认可。如果抽烟是这个群体的活动的一部分,他们就会开始抽烟以加入这个群体。
  个人因素也会影响一个人是否会开始抽烟。有冒险倾向的人比不愿冒险的人开始抽烟的可能性要大。外向型性格的人比害羞的人更容易成为一名吸烟者。有些人开始抽烟是为了减轻压力,或者帮助减肥。最后,有些人,特别是青年人开始抽烟是因为他们相信抽烟使他们显得成熟、自信和独立。
  我们了解了为什么人们会成为吸烟者后,就可以帮助吸烟者戒烟,也可以帮助不抽烟的人一辈子都不抽烟。

背诵为王 第四册

Lesson1 Power of Architecture
Architecture is to be regarded by us with the most serious thought. We may live without her, and worship without her, but we cannot remember without her. How cold is all history, how lifeless all imagery, compared to that which the living nation writes, and the uncorrupted marble bears! --how many pages of doubtful record might we not often spare, for a few stones left one upon another!
The ambition of the old Babel builders was well directed for this world: there are but two strong conquerors of the forgetfulness of men. Poetry and Architecture; and the latter in some sort includes the former, and is mightier in its reality: it is well to have, not only what men have thought and felt, but what their hands have handled, and their strength wrought, and their eyes behold, all the days of their life.
建筑的力量
我们应该以最严肃认真的态度来看待建筑。没有建筑,我们可以生存,可以崇拜上帝,但是我们就会失去记忆。与现存的民族记录下来的和依然如新的大理石展示给我们的东西相比,历史是那么凄冷,想象力是那么毫无生气。几块垒在一起的石头会给我们省下多少张满是疑点的记录。
古老的通天塔的建设者们的雄心对这个世界是有很大的指导意义的:只有两样东西能够克服人类的健忘:诗歌和建筑。在某种意义上,建筑包含诗歌,并且事实上比诗歌更具威力:我们不仅可以拥有人在生命的进程中想到和感觉到的东西,还可以拥有人的双手建造的、努力创造的以及看到的东西,这是多么美好呀。

Lesson2     Parent-children relationship by Bertrand Russell
The value of parental affection to children lies largely in the fact that it is more reliable than any other affection. One's friends like one for one's merits, one's lovers for one's charms; if the merits or the charms diminish, friends and lovers may vanish. But it is in times of misfortune that parents are most to be relied upon, in illness, and even in disgrace if the parents are of the right sort.
We all feel pleasure when we are admired for our merits, but most of us are sufficiently modest at heart to feel that such admiration is precarious. Our parents love us because we are their children and this is an unalterable fact, so that we feel safer with them than with anyone else. In times of success this may seem unimportant, but in times of failure it affords a consolation and a security not to be found elsewhere.

precarious adj. 不稳定的
unalterable adj. 不能变更的
consolation n. 安慰 , 起安慰作用的人或事物

父母和子女的关系
父母对子女的爱比其他任何感情都稳定可靠,在很大程度上这是其价值所在。朋友喜欢我们是因为我们的美德,爱人爱我们是因为我们的魅力。如果这些美德或者魅力减弱了,我们可能会失去朋友和爱人。但是在我们遭遇不幸时,父母是我们最可依赖的。如果遇到好的父母,即使我们声名扫地,也是如此。
有人敬仰我们的美德时,我们都会感到快乐,但是我们大多数人的内心都知道,这种敬仰是不可靠的。我们的父母爱我们是因为我们是他们的子女,这是不可改变的事实,所以和父母在一起时我们会感到比和其他任何人在一起时都安全。我们功成名就时,这可能显得并不重要。但是在我们失意的时候,父母给予我们的安慰和安全感是通过其他任何途径都无法得到的。

Imaginary n. (文学作品中的)意像、形像
behold vt. 看
wrought vt. (work 的过去式和过去分词 ) 精心制作

Lesson3 The Computer and Privacy
In the last 20 years, the productivity of the computer has increased over 1,000%. With this kind of technological advance, the possibility of storing more and more information at a central point is growing at a phenomenal rate. But so is the possibility of gaining access to the stored information. And that raises serious questions regarding personal privacy. For some time now, there has been a growing effort in many European countries to preserve the individual's privacy in the face of expanding requirements for information by business, government and other organizations.
In some countries, legislation has been enacted to protect the individual's privacy. In others, it is under study. In searching for appropriate legislative guidelines, private and governmental groups have explored many avenues and considered many aspects of the problem. Solutions must be found. And they will call for patient understanding and the best efforts of everyone concerned.

pledge vt. 保证
legislation n. 立法

电脑和隐私
在过去二十年里,电脑生产率的增长超过百分之一千。在这种技术进步的条件下,把越来越多的信息储存在一个中心点的技术已经获得了惊人的发展,同样,访问这些已经储存起来的信息的技术也突飞猛进。这就引出了有关个人隐私的严重问题。
面对商业、政府和其他组织不断膨胀的对信息的要求,有段时间以来,在许多欧洲国家有一股不断增长的要求保护个人隐私的努力。
在一些国家,已经立法来保护个人隐私。在其他国家里,这个问题还正在研究中。
为了寻找合适的立法指导方针,民间和政府团体系统地研究了许多途径,考虑了这个问题的许多方面。
解决方案必须找到,但这需要人们的宽容和理解,有关的每个人都要尽其最大的努力。

背诵为王 第三册

Lesson1 Hobbies
“Hobbies” are a great British and American tradition. A “ hobby' ” is a special interest or activity that you do in your time off.
Some people have animals as hobbies. They keep rabbits, or go fishing. They train dogs to do tricks, or keep pigeons to race and carry messages. Some are crazy about plants. They try to grow cacti or rare tropical flowers in their kitchens and sitting rooms.
Others are mad about their car or their motorbike. They spend their Saturdays and Sundays washing them, painting them, or buying new bits and pieces to make them go even faster.
Children and teenagers are great collectors. They collect stamps, or postcards, or matchboxes, or pictures of a favorite footballer or pop star.
Many people make things as a hobby. Some teach themselves at home, but a lot of people go to evening classes at their local college. Just look under letter B in a list of London or New York evening classes and you'll find: Ballet, Batik, Bengali dance, Body building, Bread-making and Byzantine history. Not everyone goes to evening classes to learn about his or her special interest. These people can read books or just learn on their own.

cacti [ 植 ] 仙人掌 (cactus 的复数形式 )
batik 蜡染
Bengali dance 孟加拉舞
Byzantine history 拜占庭历史

业余爱好
“业余爱好”是英国和美国的一项伟大传统。“业余爱好”是指你在空闲时从事的一项特别兴趣爱好或活动。
有些人的业余爱好是养动物。他们养兔子或者去钓鱼。他们训练狗耍把戏,或者养鸽子参加比赛和传送信息。有些人特别喜欢植物。他们在厨房和客厅里种上仙人掌或者稀有的热带花草。
还有的人很喜欢汽车或摩托车。他们在周六和周日洗车、上油漆或者购买新零件使车跑得更快。
小孩和青少年酷爱收集。他们收集邮票、明信片、火柴盒,或者喜爱的足球运动员或当红明星的图片。
很多人的业余爱好是自制物品。一部分人在家自学,但很多人到当地大学上夜校。浏览一下伦敦或纽约以 B
开头的夜校课程,你会找到:芭蕾舞、蜡染、孟加拉舞、健身、做面包和拜占庭历史。有些人并不是去夜校学习自己特殊爱好的,他们看书学习或完全靠自己琢磨。

Lesson2 Heads of State
In America , the President is the Head of the States. He makes the most important decisions and chooses the members of his cabinet who will help him govern the country.
The President also represents the United States on official occasions. He receives ambassadors from other countries, gives parties for important visitors from abroad, and takes the first place in any national ceremony. Americans are always interested in the President's wife and children — the “first lady” and the “first family”. They expect their Presidents to have a good family life and to be an example to the country.
In Britain , the Queen is the head of State. She represents Britain (and the Commonwealth). She travels about the UK , meeting people, visiting schools and hospitals, and going to important local events. She and her husband, and other members of her family, also travel abroad as rather special ambassadors to other countries.
British people enjoy their “royals”. They like reading about them in newspapers, and seeing them on TV. To some they are like film stars, interesting just because they are famous.
Most people feel that the Queen is a symbol of Britain 's long history and national traditions.

Ambassador 大使
ceremony 典礼,仪式

国家元首
在美国,总统是国家元首,他决定最重要的事情并挑选能帮其治理国家的内阁成员。
美国总统也是在官方场合代表美国的人。他接见外国大使,为国外重要访客举行宴会,并主持所有国家典礼。美国人一贯对总统的妻子和孩子感兴趣——“第一夫人”和“第一家庭”。他们期望他们的总统家庭幸福,为全国树立榜样。
女王是英国的国家元首。她代表英国(和英联邦)。她走遍英国的每一个角落,会见民众、参观学校和医院,视察发生重大事件的地区。女王和她的丈夫,以及女王家庭的其他成员,也作为特殊的使者出访其他国家。
英国人喜欢他们的“王室成员”。他们喜欢阅读有关王室成员的新闻,看到他们在电视上露面。对他们来说,王室成员就像电影明星,因为有名而吸引人。人们大多觉得女王是英国悠久历史和国家传统的象征。

Lesson3  Clothes

These dayes most people in Britain and the USA do not wear very former clothes, but sometimes it is important to wear right thing. Many British people don't think about clothes very much. They just like to be comfortable. When they go out to enjoy themselvies they can wear almost anything. At theaters, movie houses and concerts you can put on what you like, from elegant suits and dresses to jeans and sweaters.
Anything goes as long as you look clean and tidy. However, In Britain as well as the USA, man and officers usually wear suits and ties and woman wear dresses and skirts,jackets and small trousers. Docotors,lawyers and business people wear quite former clothes. It's different to say exactly what people wear in Britain and the  United State because everyone is different.
If you are not sure what to wear, watch what other people do and then do the same or ask the advice of your friend or your host. You feel more relaxed if you don't look too different from anyone else.

这些天很多英国人和美国人都没有穿以前的衣服,但是有时穿合适的服装是很重要的!很多英国

人不太在意穿着。只要穿着舒服就可以了。当他们出去玩时穿什么都可以。在剧院,电影院和音

乐厅,从优雅的外套和裙子到牛仔和羊毛衫,只要你喜欢穿什么都可以。

任何衣服都会穿的很长,只要你穿着干净得体。然而,在英国和美国,男人和办公人员通常穿

外套打领带,女士穿女装和裙子,夹克和小裤子。医生,律师和商业人员穿以前的衣服。很难具

体的说在英国和美国人们都穿什么因为每个人都不一样。

如果你不确定穿什么,看看其他人怎么穿然后照他们的穿或者问问你朋友或家里人的意见。如

果你看上去和别人穿着一样你会感觉越放松。

Lesson4 This Is Britain
"Great Britain" has several different names, "Britain", "United Kingdom", or just the "UK". There are four different countries in the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Everyone from Britain is British, but only people from England are English. People from Scotland are Scottish, people from Wales are Welsh, and people from Northern Ireland are Irish.
Don't call a Scottish or Welsh person English. He won't like it!
Altogether more than 56 million people live in Britain, in big cities like London, Liverpool and Manchester, and in the open country with lovely hills and woods, quiet rivers, lakes and farmlands.
Everyone in Britain speaks English, but in some parts of Scotland and Wales people speak their dialects as well. The Welsh are required by the government to learn Welsh, and you can see road signs in Welsh all over Wales.
Everyone speaks English, but they do not all speak it in the same way. A Scottish person has to listen carefully if he wants to understand a Londoner and when a Welsh person speaks, everyone knows at once where he comes from!
Many people think that the weather is cold and wet in Britain all year round, but it isn't! True, it sometimes rains and even snows for days and days, but every year there are weeks of beautiful sunny weather when the British go out to sunbathe in their bikinis.

dialect 方言
sunbathe 日光浴
bikini 比基尼,三点式女泳装

这就是英国
“英国”有几个不同的称呼:“不列颠”、“联合王国”或“UK”。大不列颠联合王国由英格兰、苏格兰、威尔士和北爱尔兰四个地区组成。
所有大不列颠人都是英国人,但只有来自英格兰的人是英格兰人,来自苏格兰的是苏格兰人,来自威尔士的是威尔士人,来自北爱尔兰的是爱尔兰人。不要称苏格兰人或威尔士人为英格兰人,他们不喜欢。
英国总人口五千六百多万。大城市有伦敦,利物浦,曼彻斯特。在广袤无垠的乡村,可见秀丽的山峦和树林、静静流淌的河流、湖泊和农场。
英语是英国的通用语言,但在苏格兰和威尔士的一些地方,人们也讲自己的方言。威尔士政府要求威尔士人学习威尔士语,在威尔士全境可见使用威尔士语的交通标识。
人人都会说英语,但讲出来的方式不一样。苏格兰人要非常认真,才能听懂伦敦人讲的英语。威尔士人一开口讲英语,大家就知道他是哪里人了。
很多人认为英国的天气一年到头都是阴冷潮湿的,但事实不是这样。的确,有时会连续数日地下雨,甚至下雪,但每年都会有阳光灿烂的几周,这时候英国人就会穿着比基尼出来晒太阳。

背诵为王 第三册

Lesson5 A Lawn That Takes a Long Time To Make
Mr. Anderson lives in America, and last year he came to England to visit his father's hometown.
There was a big garden in the town with green grass in the centre. A gardener was watering it, and Mr. Anderson said to him, "Good morning. Is this your garden?"
"No," answered the gardener, "it isn't mine, but I work here."
"How do people get such a beautiful lawn?' Mr. Anderson asked."Ours are never as good as this.'
The gardener stopped his work and looked at Mr. Anderson. Then he said, "You are from America, aren't you?"
Mr. Anderson answered, "Yes, but my father came from here."
"Well,"the gardener said, "it's easy to grow lawns like this.
Let me tell you how."
Mr. Anderson went into the garden. 'My name's Anderson,' he said to the gardener, "What's yours?"
"My name's Gray," the gardener answered, "Now about the lawns.
First we sow our seeds; then when the grass appears, we pull all the weeds out; after that, we cut the grass every week. We water it every day when the weather is very dry."
"Oh," Mr. Anderson answered, "that's very interesting, Gray, and how long does it take before the lawn ends up like this?
The gardener thought for a few moments and then answered, 'Oh, about four hundred years."

lawn 草坪
sow 播种

历时弥久长成的草坪
安德森先生住在美国,去年他到英国参观他父亲的家乡。
镇上有个大公园,中间是绿草地。
一个园丁正在浇水,安德森先生对他说:“早上好。这是你的花园吗?”
“不是,”园丁答道,“不是我的,不过我在这里工作。”
“怎么才能有这么漂亮的草地呢?”安德森问,“我们从没有这么好的草坪。”
园丁停下手中的活,看着安德森先生问:“你是美国人,对吗?”
安德森先生回答:“是的,不过我父亲原是英国人。”
“哦,”园丁说:“种一块这样的草地很容易,我现在就告诉你。”
安德森先生走进公园。“我叫安德森。”,他问园丁,“你叫什么?”
“格雷,”园丁说,“现在来说说草坪。首先我们播种,然后等小草长出来后,除掉野草,之后每周都修剪。天气干燥的时候每天都浇水。”
“噢,”安德森先生回道,“真有意思,格雷,不过长成一块像这样的草地要多长时间呀?”园丁想了一会,之后说:“呃,大约四百年。”

Lesson6 Schools
In America, all children from six to sixteen go to school.
They spend six years in 'elementary' school, and four or six years in 'secondary or 'high' school. School education is free. At the end of every school year, the child takes a test.
If he does well, he goes into the next grade. If he doesn't do well, he has to repeat the grade. Some schools have modern teaching equipment, like computers and closed circuit television, but there are also small country schools, with just one classroom. At the end of their time at school, most students get a high school diploma. If they want to go on to college, they take college admission tests.
In Britain, all children from five to sixteen go to school. They spend six years in 'primary' school, and then go on to 'secondary' school. In Britain there are 'state' schools, which are free, and private schools for which parents pay.
Many British private schools are 'boarding' schools. The children stay at school all the time, and only come home in the holidays. They usually wear uniforms at all schools.
Teaching in both countries is usually quite informal. Students often work together in groups, and go to the teacher only when they need help.

closed circuit television 闭路电视
diploma 文凭,毕业证书
boarding school 寄宿学校

学校
在美国,六岁到十六岁的孩子在学校读书。他们读六年小学,四年或六年中学。中小学教育是免费的。每学年末,学生要参加考试。如果他顺利通过,就可升级,否则必须留级。有些学校有现代化的教学设备,像计算机和闭路电视,但也有小的只有一间教室的乡村学校。完成中学学业后,大多数学生会拿到中学毕业证书。如果想读大学,他们还需参加大学入学考试。
在英国,五岁到十六岁的小孩都要上学。他们读六年小学,然后读中学。英国有免费的“公立学校”,也有需要父母付费的私立学校。英国的很多私立学校是寄宿制学校,学生除在节假日回家外,其他时间都呆在学校里。所有学校的学生通常都要穿校服。
英美两国的教学大都很随意。学生通常组成小组学习,只在需要帮助时才会去找老师。

Lesson7 Universities
Nearly half of all Americans go on to college when they graduate from high schools. Some colleges are small, with only a few hundred students, but some of the big state universities are huge, with up to 60,000 students. There are more than 2,600 universities in the USA, and nearly all colleges have both men and women students.
You can study many interesting subjects at college, in short or long courses, but if you want to get a degree, you have to study for at least four years. Classes start in September and go on to early June with a break in the middle.
In Britain, you can get a degree at university, or in some of the many colleges of further education. There are 42 universities in Britain. There are also many colleges in Britain that teach English as a foreign language. Some have short courses (a few weeks or months), and some have one- or two-year courses.
University classes start in September and go on until mid-June with two breaks, one at Christmas, and one at Easter. Most degrees take three years, but some take four.

大学
接近一半的美国中学毕业生到大学继续求学。一些小的学院仅有几百个学生,但一些大的州立大学着实很大,学生多达六万。美国有两千六百多所大学,且几乎所有大学男女生兼收。
在大学你能学习很多有意思的课程,时间可长可短,但如果你想拿学位的话,至少要花四年时间。大学九月开学,持续到下年六月初,中间有一段假期。
在英国,你可从大学或为数众多的继续教育学院获得学位。英国有四十二所大学。有许多大学把英语作为一门外语教授。有些大学有短期课程(几星期或几个月),另有一些大学有一到两年的课程。
大学从九月到次年六月中旬授课,圣诞节和复活节放假。大多数学位要求三年学习时间,有些要求四年。

Lesson8 School Life at College
Three months have passed since I entered university. I belong to the tennis club, which is great for my health. In the club I have made a lot of friends but, sad to say, I don't have a girlfriend yet.
I am very busy with lessons this first semester. English is a required subject, so I have to get at least a pass. I had a good shot at the questions on the English exam yesterday. I probably scored at least 80 points. However busy I may be with my part-time job and other pastimes, I attend my language classes as often as possible, because if I am absent from more than one-third of the classes, I cannot get the credits whatever the reason may be. I spent much time preparing for Chinese, but the lesson was cancelled today!
Tomorrow is the deadline for my physics paper which took me three days to write. I hope to major in science education in the future.

shot 尝试;努力

大学校园生活
升入大学已经三个月了。我加入了网球俱乐部,这对健康大有好处。在俱乐部里,我交了很多朋友,遗憾的是,还没有交到女朋友。
第一个学期,我要忙于上课。英语是必修课,所以最起码我要通过这门课的考试,在昨天的英语考试中,发挥得还不错,最少也能得八十分。不管我多么忙于兼职工作和其他消遣,我还是尽可能多上语言课,因为如果缺课三分之一以上,不管有什么理由都不能拿到学分。我花了很长时间学习中文,不过今天这门课被取消了!
明天是提交物理课论文的最后期限,我花了三天的时间来写这篇论文。希望在将来我能够主修科学教育。

Lesson9 Oxford
What is so special about Oxford and Cambridge, the two oldest universities in England? Why do so many students want to study there?
Both of these university towns are very beautiful. They have some of the finest architecture in Britain. Some of their colleges, chapels and libraries are three, four or even up to seven hundred years old, and are full of valuable books and precious paintings. Both towns have many lovely gardens, where the students can read and relax in the summer months.
Oxford is the older university of the two. The first of its colleges was founded in 1249. The university now has thirty-four colleges and about twelve thousand students, many of them from other countries. There were no women students at Oxford until 1878, when the first women's college, Lady Margaret Hall, opened. Now, women study at all colleges but one for Monks in training.
Oxford is, of course, famous for its first class education as well as its beautiful buildings. It boasts a quiet atmosphere, friendly colleagues, and the four-hundred-year-old Bodleian library, which has over five million books.
It is not easy to get a place at Oxford University to study for a degree, but outside the university there are many smaller private colleges which offer less difficult courses and where it is easy to enrol. Most students in these private schools take business, secretarial or English language courses.

chapel 小教堂,小礼拜堂
precious 珍贵的
colleague 同事
enrol 登记,入学
secretarial 秘书的,秘书工作的

牛津大学
英国最古老的两所大学——牛津大学和剑桥大学有什么独特的魅力呢?为什么这么多学生希望到牛津和剑桥来学习?
这两座大学城都十分漂亮。这里有一些全英国最精美的建筑,一些学院、教堂和图书馆始建于三四百年甚至七百年前,里面藏有珍贵的图书和绘画。这两座大学城都有许多美丽的花园,学子们在夏日里可以在这里读书和休闲。
牛津的历史比剑桥更悠久,其最早的学院始建于1249年。牛津现有三十四个学院,有大约一万两千学生,其中有许多是留学生。1878年第一个女子学院——玛格丽特•霍尔学院成立,在这之前,牛津是没有女学生的。而现在除了一个僧侣学院外其他所有的学院都招收女学生。
当然令牛津闻名于世的不仅是其精美的建筑物,还有其一流的教学。这里有优雅的环境,友好的同事,以及一个有着四百年历史、藏书五百多万册的牛津大学博德利图书馆。
要得到在牛津大学学习和获得学位的机会是很难的。但是在牛津大学的外围有许多小一点的私立学院,那里的课程要容易一点,入学的难度也不大。这些私立学院的学生大多在修商务、文秘和英语等课程
Lesson10 A Student's Guide to Exam Stress
As exam fever heats up, keep your cool with tips from our health correspondent Dr Barry Lynch.
Stress is difficult to define but most of us know it when we experience it. We may have mental symptoms: panic, feeling trapped or overwhelmed. Or there may be physical symptoms: sweating palms, butterflies, headaches, breathlessness or sleeplessness.
Stress can cause us to feel overwhelmed and powerless to tackle the very things that are causing the stress in the first place. So make a carefully written plan and the problems will seem less overwhelming. Ticking off each thing as you do it will help you feel there is light at the end of the tunnel.
When you're writing your revision plan, make sure you include some time off — exactly an hour or whatever — before you go back to work. Look forward to your time off and do something pleasant in it. Work out little treats and rewards for yourself as you tick off each thing on your plan. The treats can be simple: an ice cream, half an hour listening to your personal stereo, or walking the dog.
Easier said than done, I know, but exercise is one of the best ways of relaxing: it's the natural way to deal with adrenaline and similar hormones that are rushing around your body. A walk will help; a quick swim or half an hour of tennis or another game is even better.
Don't drink endless cups of tea or coffee: although caffeine is a stimulant it will eventually only make you tenser and nervous.
Don't try to go without sleep — sleep is a natural way of relieving stress.
Don't be tempted to use alcohol or other drugs to relieve stress. They create more problems than they solve.

correspondent 记者
symptom 症状
overwhelmed 紧张不安
butterfly 神经质发抖
adrenaline 肾上腺素
hormone 激素

学生如何缓解考试压力
当考试的热潮一浪高过一浪时,你必须保持冷静,下面就听听我们的健康记者巴里•林奇博士的建议吧。
压力很难定义,但是当我们遇到压力时就知道了什么叫压力。我们可能会有精神上的症状:惊慌,感到无助或不知所措。或许还有生理上的症状:手出汗,胃不舒服,头痛,喘不过气来或失眠。
压力能使我们感到不安和无力处理那些最初导致压力产生的事情。所以制定一份详细的书面计划可以使麻烦易于解决。每做完一件事后你就勾掉它,这样,你就会感到希望就在前头。
当你制定计划时,千万留出一些休息时间——在你重新回去工作前——要有一小时左右的时间。盼望着休息时间快来,到时候做些令人愉快的事情。当你在计划上勾掉一件事时,就给自己一点小小的奖赏。奖赏可以非常简单:一个冰激凌,听半小时音乐或溜溜狗。
我知道说起来容易做起来难,其实运动是最好的放松方法之一:它能很自然地消除由于紧张不安而导致的内分泌激增。
散步就有所帮助,快速游泳或打半小时的网球或其他运动将更有好处。
不要不停地喝茶或咖啡:虽然咖啡因有刺激作用,但它最终只会让你越来越紧张不安。
不要熬夜——睡眠是减轻压力的自然方法。
不要为了减轻压力而经受不住酒精或其他药品的诱惑。它们制造的麻烦会比它们解决的问题更多。

评分人数

hi26太感谢你了。

bump up
give mutual support !

返回列表