听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 英语四六级 » 每天讲个英语幽默故事(接力)
返回列表 发帖
伊索寓言——树和斧子-小说寓言
[来 源] 学知识  

原文:

A Woodman came into a forest to ask the Trees to give him a handle for Ax. It seemed so modest a request that the principal tree at once agreed to it, and it was settled among them that the plain, homely Ash should furnish what was wanted. No sooner had the Woodman fitted the staff to his purpose ,than he began laying about him on all side. felling the whole matter too late, whispered to the Cedar: "the first concession has lost all ;if we has not a sacrificed our humble neighbor, we might have yet stood for ages ourselves."

译文:

有一个樵夫来到森林里,要求树给他一跟斧柄,看来他的请求非常谦虚,立刻得到了树的首领的同意。他们决定由平凡而朴素的白杨树来提供所需要的东西。樵夫刚按好斧柄,就开始到处乱砍,森林里最高的树都砍倒了,树林现在察觉大势已去,就小声对衫树说:"第一次的让步已失去了一切。如果我们不牺牲我们的小小的邻居,我们自己还可以活无数年呢。"

词汇:

the principal tree 领头树

was settled among them 大家商定

no sooner...than... 一……就……

laying about him 向他四周乱砍

might have yet stood for ages 也许还能活几百年

伊索寓言——旅行者和熊-小说寓言
[来 源] 学知识

原文:

Two friends were traveling on the same road together, when they met with a bear .The one, in great fear, without a thought of his companion, climbed up into a tree, and hid himself .The other, seeing that he had on chance single-handed against the bear, had nothing left but to throw himself on the ground and feign to be dead, for he had heard that the bear will never touch a dead body .A s he thus lay, the bear came up to his head, muzzling and snuffing at his nose, and ears, and heart, but the immovably held his breath, and the beast, supposing him to be dead, walked away .When the bear was fairly out of sight, his companion came down out of the tree, and asked what it was that the bear whispered to him-"for"says he, "I observed he put his mouth very close to your ear . ""why,"replies the other, "it was no great secret, he only bid me have a care how I kept company with those who, when they get into a difficulty, leave their friends in a lurch."

词汇:

single-handed 独自一人,孤立无援

lurch 危难

伊索寓言——牧童和狼-小说寓言
[来 源] 学知识  

原文:

A Shepherd-boy, who tended his flock not far from a village, used to amuse himself at times in crying out"wolf !wolf!"Twice or thrice his trick succeeded .The whole village came running out to his assistance when all the return they got was to be laughed at for their pains .At last one day the wolf came indeed .The boy cried out in earnest. But his neighbors, supposing him to be at his old sport, paid no heed to his cries, and the wolf devoured the sheep. So the boy learned, when it was too late, that liars are not believed even when they tell the truth.

译文:

一个放羊的孩子在离村子不远的地方放羊。他为了开心寻乐常喊:"狼来了!狼来了!"他的恶作剧有两三次达到了目的。全村的人都跑来帮忙,而他们所得到的回报却是一顿嘲笑,白费了心力。最后,有一天狼真的来了。这个孩子认真地大喊起来。但是他的邻人们却以为他又在耍把戏,谁都不理会他的喊叫,于是狼把羊吃了。因此这牧童得到了教训:爱说谎的人,甚至在他说真话的时候,也没人相信他,但是他知道得太晚了。

词汇:

Shepherd-boy 牧羊童

trick 诡计

at his old sport 耍他的老把戏

伊索寓言——一捆木柴-小说寓言
[来 源] 学知识

原文:

A Husbandman who had a quarrelsome family ,after having tried in vain to reconcile them by words ,thought he might more readily prevail by an example .So he called his sons and bid them lay a bundle of sticks before him .Then ,having tied them into a fagot, he told the lads ,one after the other ,to take it up and break it .They all tied ,but tried in vain .Then untying the fagot ,he gave them the sticks to break one by one .This they did with the greatest ease .Then said the father:"Thus you ,my sons ,as long as you remain united ,are a match for all you enemies ;but differ and separate ,and you are undone."
    Union is strength.

译文:

一个农夫,家庭不和睦,用言语劝告大家和好,总是无效,最后他想,用实际例子可能容易说服他们。于是他把儿子都叫来,吩咐他们抱一捆火柴放在他的面前。他把火柴捆成一捆,接着叫这些孩子挨次拿起来折断它,一个个都试过了,但都没有折断,接着他解了捆,一根一根地给他们折,他们都轻而易举地折断了。这时父亲说:"孩子们,只要我们团结一致,你们就能对付一切敌人;但是如果意见不合,各自东西,那么你们一定要失败。"
    团结就是力量。

词汇:   

Husbandman 农夫

fagot 一捆

a match for ……的对手

伊索寓言——守财奴-小说寓言
[来 源] 学知识

原文:

A Miser, to make sure of his property, sold all that he had had converted it into a great lump of gold, which he hid in a hole in the ground, and went continually  to visit and inspect it. This roused the curiosity of one of his workmen, who, suspecting that there was a treasure, when his master's back was turned went to the spot and stole it away. When the Miser returned and found the place empty, he wept and tore his hair. But a neighbor who saw him in this extravagant grief, and learned the cause of it, said: "Fret thyself no longer, but take a stone and put it in the same place, and think that it is your lump of gold; for, as you never meant to use it, the one will do you as much gold as the other."

The worth of money is not in its possession, but in its use.

译文:

一个守财奴,为了确保他的财产,卖掉所有家当换成了一大块金子,埋在一个地洞里,并且不时地去查看,这引起了手下一个雇工的好奇。雇工猜测那里肯定有宝贝,趁主人离开之际,他来到埋藏地点,把金子偷走了。当守财奴回来发现金子不翼而飞,便痛哭流涕,乱撮头发。一个邻人见状问明原由后说“你也别太痛苦了,拿一块石头再埋在原地,就当是那块金子好了,因为既然你永远不想用它,那么两者不是一回事吗”。
    金钱的价值不在于拥有,而在于使用。

词汇:

extravagant 过分的

thyself = yourself

伊索寓言——人与赛特-小说寓言
[来 源] 学知识  
原文:

A Man and a Satyr having struck up an acquaintance, sat down together to eat. The day being wintry and cold, the Man put his fingers to his mouse and blew opon them. "What's that for, my friend?" asked the Satyr. " My hands are so cold," said the Man, "I do it to warm them." In a little while some hot food was placed before them, and the Man, raising the dish to his mouse, again blew opon it. "And what's the meaning of that, now?" said the Satyr. "Oh," replied the Man, "my porridge is so hot, I do it to cool it." "Nay, then," said the Satyr, "from this moment I renounce your friendship, for I will have nothing to do with one who blows hot and cold with the same mouse."

译文:

一个人与赛特偶然相识,坐在一起吃东西。正值冬季,天气很冷,那人把手放在嘴边哈气。赛特问道“我的朋友,那是干吗?”这人说“我的手太冷了,这是为了取暖”。过了一会儿,热腾腾的食物端上来了,那人把碟子举到嘴边又吹了起来,赛特问“这又是干吗?”,那人说“哦,我的粥太烫了,我把他吹凉些”。赛特说“从现在起,我要与你绝交,因为我不想和一个反复无常的人做朋友”。

词汇:

atyr 赛特(希腊神话中半人半羊的神)

strike up an acquaintance 偶然成为朋友

porridge 粥

renounce 拒绝,放弃

非常好

huifu

very goood!

Ashamed Soldier [来 源] 学知识  

Ashamed Soldier

Peter joined the army when he was eighteen, and for several months he was taught how to be a good soldier. He did quite well in everything except shooting. One day he and his friends were practicing their shooting, and all of them were doing quite well except Peter. After he had shot at the target nine times and had not hit it once,  the officer who was trying to teach the young  soldiers  to shoot said, "You're quite hopeless, Peter! Don't waste your last bullet too! Go behind that wall and shoot yourself with it!"

Peter felt ashamed. He went behind the wall, and a few seconds later the officer and the other young soldiers heard the sound of a shot.

"Heavens!" the officer said. "Has that silly man really shot himself?"

He ran behind the wall anxiously, but Peter was all right. "I'm sorry, sir," he said, "but I missed again."

惭愧的士兵

彼得十八岁那年参了军,他需要参加几个月的学习以成为一名好士兵。彼得在其他方面都做得很好,但是射击不行。一天他和伙伴们练习射击,除了彼得其他人都没有问题。他射了九次,一次也没有命中目标。这时,教新兵射击的教官说:“彼得,你看来是没希望了,不要连最后一发子弹都浪费掉!去那堵墙后面用它向自己打一枪吧。”

彼得感到非常惭愧。他走到那堵墙后面。几分钟后,教官和新兵们听到一声枪响。

“上帝!”教官叫起来,“难道那个笨蛋真的朝自己开枪了?”

他急忙跑到那堵墙后面,发现彼得安然无恙。“对不起,长官,”他说,“我还是没有命中。”

These stories are very facetious!

返回列表