听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 【每日英语故事】 » 【每日英语故事9月19日】——好交易(一)
返回列表 发帖

【每日英语故事9月19日】——好交易(一)

The Good Bargain

A peasant had driven his cow to the fair and sold her for seven talers. On the way home he had to walk past a pond, and already from afar he heard the frogs crying, "ak, ak, ak, ak" [which in his language sounded like, "eight, eight, eight, eight"].

"Well," he said he to himself, "they are talking nonsense. It is seven that I was paid, not eight."

When he reached the water, he shouted to them, "You are stupid creatures. Don't you know any better than that? It is seven talers, not eight."

The frogs, however, kept up with their "ak, ak, ak, ak."

"Now then, if you won't believe it, I can count it out for you." Then taking his money out of his pocket, he counted out the seven talers, twenty-four groschens in each one.

However, the frogs paid no attention to his counting, and again cried out, "ak, ak, ak, ak."

"Aha!" shouted the peasant, quite angry. "If you think that you know better than I do, then count it yourselves," and he threw all the money at them into the water. He stood still, wanting to stay there until they were finished and had returned his money to him, but the frogs did not budge from their opinion, and continued to cry out, "ak, ak, ak, ak." And furthermore, they did not throw the money back to him.

He waited a long time, until evening finally came, and he had to go home. Then he cursed the frogs, shouting at them, "You water-splashers, you thick-heads, you goggle-eyes, you have big mouths and can shout until a person's ears hurt, but you cannot count seven talers. Do you think that I want to stand here until you are finished?"

Then he walked away, with the frogs still crying out after him, "ak, ak, ak, ak." He arrived at home in a sour mood.

本帖隐藏的内容需要回复才可以浏览

a small story

it's a little difficult to understand,but i think the peasant is not clever.

it is  stupid when you  believe it !

it's no easy to understand.

over

walk

what a interest!!

foolisher

walk

This is an interesting story. Perhaps a fable of sorts? Then what's its moral?

Anyway, posters above said the peasant is stupid. At least, a stupid person can never be lyrical enough to come up with swearing such as "You water-splashers, you thick-heads, you goggle-eyes...". This almost sounds Shakespearean to me! Ha ha.

eh,the peasant is thick head.

look

mark

the peasant is foolish

评分人数

• jane019

This is a profound problem, although is a significant story. But a lot of times happened in body similar things let's is so at a loss

评分人数

• jane019

返回列表