听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 交流茶馆 » WE ALL NEED FRIENDS
返回列表 发帖

WE ALL NEED FRIENDS

It has been a hard enough life. I have had a sight problem since birth so I have no clear sight of colors. Colors are dull but I can imagine what they look like bright.

I grew up in a household with mom and my younger sister having the same problem as I. It made it easy to cope with my sight and help my sis cope with hers. School was hard in the beginning because the other kids made fun of me. But I took it in and kept it inside.

I was in public school from K to 9th grade and then I got to go to Perkins School for the Blind in the 10th grade. They were a year behind the public school, so that meant I went back the 9th grade.

After I finished school, I got married and had three kids. Everyone told me I could not handle them, but to their surprise, they grew up to be successful in their lives. I worked in a publishing house that was called National Braille Press. I learned to read braille there; they would not teach me it in school because I had too much sight. I learned to read, write, and put together braille books.

These days I am working at Options Clubhouse where I help others get on the computers and onto the Internet. In addition, I have been working in a public caf. I was scared initially because of my sight, but when I started working there everyone was so nice and no one saw me as a blind women.

It stills hurts inside, but I have been lucky that I have people who see me as I am and don't look at me as a person with a sight problem. A person is a person and should be looked at like a person and not someone different. We are all different in some way, so we should treat others the same way you would like to be treated. We all need friends.

返回列表