听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 听力提高 » Black History Month 和百岁老人共庆黑人历史月
返回列表 发帖

Black History Month 和百岁老人共庆黑人历史月

Wang Fei: 大家好。欢迎收听都市掠影节目。我是王飞。

Yvonne: And I’m Yvonne.

Wang Fei: Yvonne 是我的同事,她刚刚从伦敦的一个庆祝活动回来。

Yvonne: Yes. I just came back from an event for Black History Month.

Wang Fei: Black History Month, Yvonne, what is Black History Month then?

Yvonne: Black History Month in the UK is a time when we learn about, and share and celebrate the contributions made by Black people to society throughout history.

Wang Fei: Black History Month 黑人历史月,是一个让人了解并纪念黑人在历史中对社会发展所作出的贡献的纪念性节日。Is it only celebrated in the UK, Yvonne?

Yvonne: No, Wang Fei, it's an international celebration, but different countries celebrate at different times of the year. Let's hear from Mia Morris.

Wang Fei: Mia Morris 是伦敦的一位女企业家。我们听一听她对黑人历史月的解释。听的时候,请注意一个短语表达:across the pond.

Insert

The Black History Month takes place every October in the UK.

Mia Morris

The Black History Month takes place every October in the UK. Across the pond, in America and Canada, it's celebrated in February. It's also celebrated in February in Germany.

Wang Fei: What does across 'the pond' mean?

Yvonne: Here, 'the pond' means the Atlantic Ocean.

Wang Fei: Oh, I see. It's a really big pond then?

Yvonne: Yes. It's huge. 'Across the pond' is slang which we fondly use to mean 'across the Atlantic Ocean'.

Wang Fei: Across the pond 就是指在大西洋的另外一边的意思。So what type of celebratory activities did you see at the event?

Yvonne: Oh, there were a lot of different activities: singing, dancing, African drumming, talks about charity and a young boy read a poem he had written. I have been enjoying Black History Month every year.

Wang Fei: Every year, so you have been part of it then.

Yvonne: Yes. I've definitely taken part in Black History Month this year. And I am especially happy because I met a very interesting old lady during the celebratory activities. Wang Fei, can you guess how old she is?

Wang Fei: 80?

I was born in Guyana, South America, on the 23rd September 1908.

Irene Sinclair

Yvonne: No, older.

Wang Fei: 90 then?

Yvonne: No, older.

Wang Fei: 100 years old?

Yvonne: Even older!

Wang Fei: Wow. More than 100 years old. 我们下面听一听这位100多岁的老奶奶的录音,听的时候请注意:Which year was she born?

Insert

Well, my name is Irene Sinclair. People call me Rene for short. I was born in Guyana, South America, on the 23rd September 1908.

Wang Fei: Irene Sinclair was born in 1908. She's 102 years old. That's amazing!

Yvonne: And what amazed me is not only her age but also her profession. She got a job as a model in her 90s and she is still a model today.

Wang Fei: 100多岁的老奶奶级模特?真是太神奇了。我们赶紧听一听她做了什么工作。

Insert

Well I started in America, then I went to Paris, then it was Madrid, Milan and Berlin, and then I went back to Paris the October of 2005 with my granddaughter – as they wanted grandmother and granddaughter. (How old is your granddaughter now?) Oh, she's 48.

Yvonne: In 2005 Irene modelled for an international company for 14 months. She also travelled to many countries.

Wang Fei: 在2005年,当Irene 96周岁的时候,开始做职业模特,并且去很多国家出差。真是太不可思议了。What did you enjoy the most about chatting with her?

Yvonne: I was really impressed by her attitude towards life.

Insert

I never thought tomorrow would be dark and gloomy. No two days can be alike.

Irene Sinclair

You know I said today's bleak, stormy, tomorrow wouldn't be – that's my opinion of life. And I think because – and my friends I talk to say – that's why you're so happy today.

Yvonne: She said today's bleak and stormy but tomorrow wouldn't be.

Wang Fei: Bleak 令人沮丧的、stormy 暴风骤雨的,她说今天有风有雨、令人沮丧,明天将会是另外一番模样。

Yvonne: Yes. She is very optimistic and has a very positive attitude towards her life. Maybe that's the secret of her longevity.

Wang Fei: Optimistic 乐观的,positive attitude 积极的态度。或许 Irene 的长寿秘诀就是她乐观、积极的人生态度。

Yvonne: Yes. I hope you've enjoyed today's programme and there are a lot more On the Town programmes on our website. Bye for now!

Wang Fei: Bye.

返回列表