听力首页 听力教程 VOA慢速 英语歌曲 外语下载 英语小说 英语词典 在线背单词 听力论坛 韩语学习
听力专题 英语教材 VOA标准 英语动画 英语考试 资源技巧 英语翻译 单词连连看 听力家园 德语学习
听力搜索 英语导读 BBC英语 英语视频 英语电台 英语QQ群 外语歌曲   英语游戏 英语网刊 日语学习
当前位置: 英语听力论坛 » 考研英语 » 1997年全国硕士研究生入学考试英语试题及答案(1)
返回列表 发帖

1997年全国硕士研究生入学考试英语试题及答案(1)

Part I Structure and Vocabulary  Sections A
  Directions:Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked A),B),C)andD). Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets. (5 points)
  1.The Social Security Retirement Program is made up of two trust funds, _____ could go penniless by next year.
  A)the larger one   B)the larger of which
  C)the largest one  D)the largest of which
  2.Nowhere in nature is aluminum found free, owing to its always _____ with other elements, most commonly with oxygen.
  A)combined  B)having combined  C)combine   D)being combined
  3.Andrew, my father's younger brother, will not be at the picnic, _____ to the family's disappointment.
  A)much        B)more  C)too much  D)much more
  4.I would have gone to visit him in the hospital had it been at all possible, but I _____ fully occupied the whole of last week.
  A)were  B)had been  C)have been  D)was
  5.Help will come from the UN, but the aid will be _____ near what's needed.
  A)everywhere  B)somewhere  C)nowhere  D)anywhere
  6.The chief reason for the population growth isn't so much a rise in birth rates _____ a fall in death rates as a result of improvements in medical care.
  A)and  B)as  C)but  D)or
  7.He claims to be an expert in astronomy, but in actual fact he is quite ignorant on the subject. _____ he knows about it is out of date and inaccurate.
  A)What little  B)So much  C)How much  D)So little
  8.Although we feel dissatisfied with the election results, we have to become reconciled _____ the decision made by our fellow countrymen.
  A)for  B)on  C)to  D)in
  9.Just as the value of a telephone network increases with each new phone _____ to the system, so does the value of a computer system increase with each program that turns out.
  A)adding  B)to have added  C)to add  D)added
  10.The vocabulary and grammatical differences between British and American English are so trivial and few as hardly _____ .
  A)noticed  B)to be noticed  C)being noticed  D)to notice
  Section B
  Directions: Each of the following sentences has four underlined parts marked A),B),C)andD). Identify the part of the sentence that is incorrect and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets. (5 points)
  Example:
  A number of A) foreign visitors were taken B) to the industrial exhibition which C) they saw D) many new products.
  Part C) is wrong. The sentence should read,"A number of foreign visitors were taken to the industrial exhibition where they saw many new products."So you should choose C).
  11.Although Professor Green's lectures usually ran over A) the fifty minute B) period, but none C) of his students even D) objected as they found his lectures both informative and interesting.
  12.When A) Edison died, it was proposed that the American people turned off B) all power C) in their homes, streets, and factories for several minutes in honor of D) this great man.
  13.They pointed out A) the damage which B) they supposed that C) had been done by last night's D) storm.
  14.Because of A) the recent accidents, our parents forbid my brother and me from swimming B) in the river unless C) someone agrees to watch D) over us.
  15.A great many A) teachers firmly B) believe that English is one of the poorest taught C) subjects in high schools at present. D)
  16.In this way these insects show an efficient use of their soundproduced A) ability, organizing B) two sounds delivered C) at a high rate as one call. D)
  17.I thought the technician was to blame A) for the blowing B) of the fuse, but I see now how C) I was D) mistaken.
  18.For him to be re elected, A) what is essential is not that his policy works, B) but that C) the public believe that it is. D)
  19.As far as A) I am concerned, his politics are B) rather conservative compared C) with other politicians. D)
  20.I'd say whenever you are going A) after something that is belonging B) to you, anyone who is depriving C) you of the right to have it is criminal. D)
  Sections C
  Directions:Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked A),B),C)and D). Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets. (10 points)
  Example:
  The lost car of the Lees was found _____ in the woods off the highway.
  A)vanishedB)scattered C)abandonedD)rejected
  The sentence should read,"The lost car of the Lees was found abandoned in the woods off the highway."Therefore, you should choose C).
  21.When workers are organized in trade unions, employers find it hard to lay them _____.
  A)off  B)aside  C)out  D)down
  22.The wealth of a country should be measured _____ the health and happiness of its people as well as the material goods it can produce.
  A)in line with  B)in terms of  C)in regard with  D)by means of
  23.He has failed me so many times that I no longer place any _____ on what he promises.
  A)faith  B)belief  C)credit  D)reliance
  24.My students found the book _____ it provided them with an abundance of information on the subject.
  A)enlightening  B)confusing  C)distracting  D)amusing
  25.Nobody yet knows how long and how seriously the shakiness in the financial system will _____ down the economy.
  A)put  B)settle  C)drag  D)knock
  26.In this factory the machines are not regulated _____ but are jointly controlled by a central computer system.
  A)independently  B)individually  C)irrespectively  D)irregularly
  27.Every chemical change either results from energy being sued to produce the change, or causes energy to be _____ in some form.
  A)given off  B)put out  C)set off  D)used up
  28.If businessmen are taxed too much, they will no longer be motivated to work hard, with the result that incomes from taxation might actually _____ .
  A)shrink  B)delay  C)disperse  D)sink
  29.American companies are evolving from massproduction manufacturing to _____ enterprises.
  A)moveable  B)changing  C)flexible  D)varying
  30.If you know what the trouble is, why don't you help them to _____ the situation?
  A)simplify  B)modify  C)verify  D)rectify
  31.I can't _____ what has happened to the vegetables, for they were freshly picked this morning.
  A)figure out  B)draw out  C)look out  D)work out
  32.I tried very hard to persuade him to join our group but I met with a flat _____ .
  A)disapproval  B)rejection  C)refusal  D)decline
  33.From this material we can _____ hundreds of what you may call direct products.
  A)derive  B)discern  C)diminish  D)displace
  34.She had clearly no _____ of doing any work, although she was very well paid.
  A)tendency  B)ambition  C)intention  D)wilngness
  35.What seems confusing or fragmented at first might well become _____ a third time.
  A)clean and measurable  B)notable and systematic
  C)pure and wholesome  D)clear and organic
  36.The public opinion was that the time was not _____ for the election of such a radical candidate as Mr. Jones.
  A)reasonable  B)ripe  C)ready  D)practical
  37.Hudson said he could not kill a living thing except for the _____ of hunger.
  A)sensation  B)cause  C)purpose  D)motive
  38.For the new country to survive, _____ for its people to enjoy prosperity, new economic policies will be required.
  A)to name a few  B)let alone  C)not to speak  D)let's say
  39.Foreign disinvestment and the _____ of South Africa from world capital markets after 1985 further weakened its economy.
  A)displacement  B)elimination  C)exclusion  D)exception
  40.When a number of people _____ together in a conversational knot, each individual expresses his position in the group by where he stands.
  A)pad  B)pack  C)squeeze  D)cluster
  Part II Cloze Test
  Directions:For each numbered blank in the following passage, there are four choices marked A),B),C),D). Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets. (10 points)
  Manpower Inc., with 560,000 workers, is the world's largest temporary employment agency. Every morning, its people 41 into the offices and factories of America, seeking a day's work for a day's pay. One day at a time 42 industrial giants like General Motors and IBM struggle to survive 43 reducing the number of employees, Manpower, based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is booming.
  44 its economy continues to recover, the US is increasingly becoming a nation of part timers and temporary workers. This "45" work force is the most important 46 in American business today, and it is 47 changing the relationship between people and their jobs. The phenomenon provides a way for companies to remain globally competitive 48 avoiding market cycles and the growing burdens 49 by employment rules, healthcare costs and pension plans. For workers it can mean an end to the security, benefits and sense of 50 that came from being a loyal employee.
  41. A)swarm B)stride C)separate D)slip
  42. A)For B)Because C)As D)Since
  43. A)from B)in C)on D)by
  44. A)Even though B)Now that C)If only D)Provided that
  45. A)durable B)disposable C)available D)transferable
  46. A)approach B)flow C)fashion D)trend
  47. A)instantly B)reversely C)fundamentally D)sufficiently
  48. A)but B)while C)and D)whereas
  49. A)imposed B)restricted C)illustrated D)confined
  50. A)excitement B)conviction C)enthusiasm D)importance
  Part III Reading Comprehension
  Directions:Each of the passages below is followed by some questions. For each question there are four answers marked A),B),C) and D). Read the passages carefully and choose the best answer to each of the questions. Then mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets. (40 points)
  Passage 1
  It was 3:45 in the morning when the vote was finally taken. After six months of arguing and final 16 hours of hot parliamentary debates, Australia's Northern Territory became the first legal authority in the world to allow doctors to take the lives of incurably ill patients who wish to die. The measure passed by the convincing vote of 15 to 10. Almost immediately word flashed on the Internet and was picked up, half a world away, by John Hofsess, executive director of the Right to Die Society of Canada. He sent it on via the group's on line service, Death NET. Says Hofsess:"We posted bulletins all day long, because of course this isn't just something that happened in Australia. It's world history."
  The full import may take a while to sink in. The NT Rights of the Terminally III law has left physicians and citizens alike trying to deal with its moral and practical implications. Some have breathed sighs of relief, others, including churches, right to life groups and the Australian Medical Association, bitterly attacked the bill and the haste of its passage. But the tide is unlikely to turn back. In Australia—where an aging population, life extending technology and changing community attitudes have all played their part—other states are going to consider making a similar law to deal with euthanasia. In the US and Canada, where the right to die movement is gathering strength, observers are waiting for the dominoes to start falling.
  Under the new Northern Territory law, an adult patient can request death—probably by a deadly injection or pill—to put an end to suffering. The patient must be diagnosed as terminally ill by two doctors. After a"cooling off"period of seven days, the patient can sign a certificate of request. After 48 hours the wish for death can be met. For Lloyd Nickson, a 54 year old Darwin resident suffering from lung cancer, the NT Rights of Terminally III law means he can get on with living without the haunting fear of his suffering: a terrifying death from his breathing condition."I'm not afraid of dying from a spiritual point of view, but what I was afraid of was how I'd go, because I've watched people die in the hospital fighting for oxygen and clawing at their masks,"he says.
  51.From the second paragraph we learn that _____ .
  A)the objection to euthanasia is slow to come in other countries
  B)physicians and citizens share the same view on euthanasia
  C)changing technology is chiefly responsible for the hasty passage of the law
  D)it takes time to realize the significance of the law's passage
  52.When the author says that observers are waiting for the dominoes to start falling, he means _____.
  A)observers are taking a wait and see attitude towards the future of euthanasia
  B)similar bills are likely to be passed in the US, Canada and other countries
  C)observers are waiting to see the result of the game of dominoes
  D)the effecttaking process of the passed bill may finally come to a stop
  53.When Lloyd Nickson dies, he will _____.
  A)face his death with calm characteristic of euthanasia
  B)experience the suffering of a lung cancer patient
  C)have an intense fear of terrible suffering
  D)undergo a cooling off period of seven days
  54.The author's attitude towards euthanasia seems to be that of _____.
  A)opposition  B)suspicion  C)approval  D)indifference
  Passage 2
  A report consistently brought back by visitors to the US is how friendly, courteous, and helpful most Americans were to them. To be fair, this observation is also frequently made of Canada and Canadians, and should best be considered North American. There are, of course, exceptions. Small minded officials, rude waiters, and illmannered taxi drivers are hardly unknown in the US Yet it is an observation made so frequently that it deserves comment.
  For a long period of time and in many parts of the country, a traveler was a welcome break in an otherwise dull existence. Dullness and loneliness were common problems of the families who generally lived distant from one another. Strangers and travelers were welcome sources of diversion, and brought news of the outside world.
  The harsh realities of the frontier also shaped this tradition of hospitality. Someone traveling alone, if hungry, injured, or ill, often had nowhere to turn except to the nearest cabin or settlement. It was not a matter of choice for the traveler or merely a charitable impulse on the part of the settlers. It reflected the harshness of daily life: if you didn't take in the stranger and take care of him, there was no one else who would. And someday, remember, you might be in the same situation.
  Today there are many charitable organizations which specialize in helping the weary traveler. Yet, the old tradition of hospitality to strangers is still very strong in the US, especially in the smaller cities and towns away from the busy tourist trails."I was just traveling through, got talking with this American, and pretty soon he invited me home for dinner—amazing."Such observations reported by visitors to the US are not uncommon, but are not always understood properly. The casual friendliness of many Americans should be interpreted neither as superficial nor as artificial, but as the result of a historically developed cultural tradition.
  As is true of any developed society, in America a complex set of cultural signals, assumptions, and conventions underlies all social interrelationships. And, of course, speaking a language does not necessarily meant that someone understands social and cultural patterns. Visitors who fail to"translate"cultural meanings properly often draw wrong conclusions. For example, when an American uses the word"friend", the cultural implications of the word may be quite different from those it has in the visitor's language and culture. It takes more than a brief encounter on a bus to distinguish between courteous convention and individual interest. Yet, being friendly is a virtue that many American value highly and expect from both neighbors and strangers.
  55.In the eyes of visitors from the outside world, _____.
  A)rude taxi drivers are rarely seen in the US
  B)small minded officials deserve a serious comment
  C)Canadians are not so friendly as their neighbors
  D)most Americans are ready to offer help
  56.It could be inferred from the last paragraph that _____.
  A)culture exercises an influence over social interrelationship
  B)courteous convention and individual interest are interrelated
  C)various virtues manifest themselves exclusively among friends
  D)social interrelationships equal the complex set of cultural conventions
  57.Families in frontier settlements used to entertain strangers _____.
  A)to improve their hard life
  B)in view of their long distance travel
  C)to add some flavor to their own daily life
  D)out of a charitable impulse
  58.The tradition of hospitality to strangers _____.
  A)tends to be superficial and artificial
  B)is generally well kept up in the United States
  C)is always understood properly
  D)was something to do with the busy tourist trails

返回列表